Modding support for the ToW

1C Company as the developer of Theater of War states that 1C Company doesn’t object to the modding of the game, however TOW modding has nothing to do with the modding of IL2 Sturmovik. SFS formats differ in IL2 and ToW.

1C Company also states that it can not support modders and answer their questions about their problems. So, the players are free to mod the current game version as-is.

SIO

Great news!

Will Dr. Jones be releasing his .SFS extractor/viewer now it is officially approved?

There are quite a few areas of TOW I'd like to mod/tweak (though I'll wait for the official patch first to see what fixes and tweaks it includes) and I'm also interested in modding the weapon sounds.

Originally posted by rofl:

Now with developers permission, could anyone upload Dr.Jones tool please?

Agreed! Though as I mentioned before I'll wait for the patch release before starting any mods, I'd like to have a look at TOW's file system and data structure ASAP to get a head start.

1C Company also states that it can not support modders and answer their questions about their problems. So, the players are free to mod the current game version as-is.

[/QB]

One question:

whats in the future, will we get any official moddingtools, SFS-unpacker and packer...?

Once you have the extractor, it's true that most modding is not much more than editing text files - which is pretty amazing really. A 3D exporter, or an SDK for creating completely new maps would be good though, but I doubt we'll see them from 1C (like you get from Microsoft for quite a few of their games) in a hurry.

Have fun

Finn

Not sure why DrJones hasn't released his tool yet. I got it by asking him on the TOW Modding forums (http://tow.sieber-markus.de/).

The tool probably needs updating now that the patch is out, I'm not sure the current version be able to extract files from the new .SFS archives added in the patch. I haven't tried this myself as I still have 115 megabytes and 8 hours to go downloading it :mad:

Well the extractor basically works, although it needs a tweak from Dr.Jones so that it also includes what's in patch1.SFS without renaming files back and forth. I haven't produced a new file list yet, but there seems to be another 20ish folders, 10 of which are new maps so there's not a major change to the basic structure.

Have fun

Finn

Yes i already have that one, thanks again for your great work smile.gif

I add a lot of missed aircraft tga.files and could save the new list as xml.

How can i save that new list as txt.file without all those >/< signs like you've done?

I started with the filelist.txt file that came with an earlier version of the extractor to which FinnN and I added some additional entries. I grabbed the ones I did with Microsoft's Process Monitor and saved them as a .csv file which could be read in excel. Then I merged them in Excel and took out all of the duplicates and copied the entries into notepad. If you have a lot of .xml symbols, the easiest thing to do is copy the data into Word and do a number of search and replaces to get rid of them then save it as a .txt file.

Hope that helps

Oudy

I have gone ahead and updated the ToW menu to now have direct links to the entrys that contain the tool, filelist and FAQ.

Oudy, if you decide to change them in the future, please only UPDATE the current entries... do not add new ones as the links will still point to the old ones. Thanks for loading them for everyone!