Behind Enemy Lines

This has required the most replay of any TOW mission I can recall. Its been fun, however, now that I’m at the end and Have three tigers to deal with, having one Panther and a Panzerschrek Im having a hard time resolving this one.

A few comments/complaints are in order:

Why don’t the Sturmoviks I called in attack the tanks? They just fly by and once they see a halftrack on the other side of the map they attack it. Pretty crappy ground support!

I cant believe that Russian Commandos cant judge grenade throwing distance any better than this and that they cant determine that if a vehicle is moving they might need to toss the grenade up the street a bit.

yep it is a fun mission i have played until the three king tigers i run in the same problem as you i tryed to use the airsupport but they attacked one of the haltracks in the check point and not the tanks.

you have to desaible one of the King tigers at leas two near the bridge i tried the panzerschrek without luck i am thinking on using one of the pak 40 the one that is near the house for that propose.

any way if you have a work arround let me know.

here is a post about this mission one guy completed but i don't understant hes explanation. his name is mcalhau

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=63;t=001701

I like Mcalhau's Idea to go ahead and take out the outposts, which I original bypassed, with the Panther and to also use the AT guns at the bridge. My problem is that I used the tank to take the bridge and it destroys the AT guns. I just need to be a little more "surgical" at the bridge smile.gif

hammer did you modified the mission? because there is not a panther in there is PZIV.

On the briged i use infantry to disable the two guns i kill the one near the house with granade and disaible the other one with the sniper. Then i kill the stug with the PZIV and finish up the gun on the

other side of the river with the tank i kill the rest of the infantry using the tank.

i tried to kill the AA with the sniper but is difficult. sometime they turn and response to your fire killing your sniper at the moment also there is a armored car and patrol of inf arround the perimeter at the small reaction of the AA all of them will go directly to you sniper and them will hunt down the rest of your team.

also you have to do alot retries because the dispersion of the arty is big you need a lucky shot.

Any way good luck!

I think that artillery is a waist in the tanks.

Redbear, I allways played with the sniper with the hold fire button pressed, and when I atacked targets with him it was allways a little far away, and only let him shot 2 or 3 times, allways try to shoot first the commanders, they are the best in scouting, and moved to another position after each shooting, I even had to move a little more when I was shooting at the AA remaining crews, because they had spotted me and the stug started running to the sniper, but once I sttoped fire and moved behind some bushes the stug felt back to where he was. I had put 2 men to see more or less where the scouting party was (bmw and scouting car), so I could make the sniper shots whithout the scouting party near when the sniper took the shots.

I used the artillery fire almost at same time with the F-bombers (with a little delay for air support), so when they came down, the AA crews whould be supressed by the artillery fire, some crew men died from artillery and some were shot and run from the vehicules from the F-bombers and then the sniper took them out, one at least was shot in the AA position. By the way, I don´t know if I´m allucinating smile.gif , but when I make the call for artillery or F-bombers I allways make them with the men that is seeing were I want the support (in all the missions) and I think that the support gets more efficient like that, but, once again maybe I´m seeing things LOL.

Hope it helped, if someone could tell me how to take screenshots, I could try the mission with some screenshots, smile.gif I´m really a dumbass in things like these.

Arty is a dice roll with tanks as it is with infantry, just More of a dice roll with tanks. A direct hit will destroy a tank and a near hit will immobilize and sometimes disable a tank. When those Tigers come over the hill I get chicken real fast and will take all the help I can get smile.gif

[ February 26, 2008, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Hammer ]

We finally got the stinking Tigers! The trick for me was positioning the guns as I wanted, dismount the men and hide them nearby, otherwise the tanks take the guns out at long range. The guns just not having enough punch at range.

I partially blocked the road with the PZIV on the far side of the bridge, between the sandbags, with one of the guns beside it. those men hid behind the sandbags. The other gun was tucked up by the building with the halftrack parked to hide it from the back in case of the tanks flanked. Those men had both panzerfausts.

The idea was to catch a tank in the back as he approached the bridge after he passed the gun at the building. If he turned to address the gun, man the bridge gun again attacking the rear or side as he turned. hopefully the terrain isolating the tanks long enough to deal with them separately.

The first tank was destroyed as planned. Second flanked the building and was disabled by panzerfausts (Men hiding behind HT and building)It was later found abandoned...

The third tank stayed just outside the first sandbags down the bank. I crept around with the last Pfaust round and hit him, from behind, causing him to drive up on the road where the, now maned, PZIV took him out with shots in the side.

I did not get an infantry attack as people have reported.