Tanks and Trees & Awards

I've been playing mostly small games of a few units in the Battle Generator & Editor.

I've noticed when I give vehicles a destination they seem to go directly thru trees, knocking them down on the way. In addition they crash thru fenced villages. Didn't notice if they crashed thru the small homes. These appear to be fairly substantial trees and obstacles.

In CM vehicles would, despite plyr orders, avoid many areas of rough or bad terrain - not all, but many - and by default do not enter areas of dense trees. But they would always after avioding obstacles get back to their movement to the ordered goal. This needs fixing.

No tank driver or cdr would let his tank crash into medium sized or even most small trees because of possible damage to his vehicle. So the game should prevent this by having vehicles move around medium to heavy obstacles. Very, very small trees or light fences OK.

Perhaps in an emergency you want to ignore this but then there should be a chance of damage.

Another rant -

I personally don't like naming every soldier in the game and awarding medals. This is a RTS not a SIM. That works great in a flight sim or could work well in a sim like Pz Elite but not in TOW.

Just my opinions. Maybe I need to play more to get a better appreciation. I'll keep playing.

Disagree about awards and names. I like following tank crews or soldiers through a campaign. Its a great way of tracking attrition. Reminds me of close combat III when my ace panzer IIIj made it all the way to Berlin. I cried when it got popped by an su-76. A very sad day.

Yeah trees are over the top, not realistic, funny watching a bren carrier knock over an oak. Likely to compensate for weak pathing perhaps.

Be great if they had a realistic tank behaviour option, tanks go around trees, get stuck off road etc. But be able to switch that off in a menu as it may pee people off.

Knocking down large trees with light vehicles is one thing, but these also sink magically into the ground as happens oftenly in FPS. Really hate it. Should that increase frame rates or what? Knocked down trees would remove some of the park like landscape looks and adds some more war like feel. But they make them disappear into the ground. tongue.gif Same with shell holes. They simply vanish. Non enterable house, grden fences that are impassible to infantry; TOW failes on the entire front. If I want to play FPS, I play RO or COD, if I want some realistic combined arms game I play Combat Mission. So what is left beside the "nice" graphic in TOW? :rolleyes:

Agree with above -dont get me wrong i really like this game but there are better engines and graphics out there. This was a flight sim engine. Faces of War yes a role playing game could be adapted into this scale of strategy war game much better. absolutlely Beauty graphics, handles large number of troops in the hundreds, tanks and squads, enterable buildings - and its 1C company as well? Never understood why 1C didnt use the Faces engine and modify it for TOW.

• 5 months later...

well... you dont HAVE to award medals and give them names... its an option... you could just ignore it...

youre just being nitpicky...

its like saying i dont like the fact that my car has a CD player because i want to hear the engine... well... dont use the CD player...

When the award screen appears you just have to choose the automatic assignment option (look at the bottom left side of the screen), ticking the "all" box as well, and you will not have to go through all your survivors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tanks & trees -- Trees is ToW don't vary much in size, but whatever a tree's size, almost any vehicle can push it over. I think it's quite gamey that pushed-over trees dissolve into the ground. And don't shellbursts just knock over trees, rather then shearing them laterally in half through the trunk?

Then again, the game's engine *is* that of a now-kinda-old flight sim, albeit one that I love.

Awards -- In Company of Heroes or most any other RTS (I think of ToW as a combat simulator rather than an RTS), you feel bad when a unit gets killed, not because you care about it's 'identity' but because now you have to build/'create' another one. In Combat Mission and ToW, though, you see your units as men -- their names give them identity. When I have to send my men charging across the open to take the enemy positions and they suffer heavy losses on the way, I feel bad because they've been killed.

It can seem laborious, though, to manually sort through one's forces after a battle to ensure their XP is applied to key skills like Scouting, Gunner, Driver, etc. Of course, I prefer the campaigns in which the battles take place in a short period (rather than one battle per year over the course of the entire war), wherein a soldier wouldn't realistically gain all that much experience and probably wouldn't be promoted either.

• 3 months later...