Dunkirk

I've managed to knock it out, but it's difficult. One possibility if you have a lot of HE ammo that I haven't tried is to knock out its gun and its tracks, tanks crews almost always bail shortly after that happens but you'll need a lot of tries before you hit the critical systems (if you're lucky).

Have fun

Finn

managed to do it afer several tries - took out the 2 tanks in the field on the right side, disabled somehow the Char1 with distant tank gun fire (he and apc) then rushed directly the AT guns (those who trigger the reinforcements)with 3 tanks, knocked them out losing 1 tank in the process, then the rest it was easy. (AT guns form the hilltop were knocked out earlier by long range tank fire (HE).

• 1 month later...
What are the Victory conditions for this battle? I took the whole French position with 5-6 tanks but no Victory (all my infantry are manning field guns or trucks across the canal). There were a couple of enemy infantry (4-5 max, the rest is dead) that ran away off the map but some returned to fire with small arms at my tanks while the others just lied down off map. Do I really have to kill those guys to get the victory?
I've got the same problem... but... I've gone through the whole map looking for remaining enemy troops but can't find any. I've taken all enemy positions and I still can't finish...

Hi Arengada,

I am interested in what got it working - see my addition to the "French campaign - under siege" post. Did you finally discover the few remaining ennemy soldiers you had been searching for ? Was it a question of bringing units - or some specific units - in a determined zone ? Was it a question of time ?

Thanks for your light.

I think what did it was that I took all the unmanned french guns/tanks. As soon as I did that I got the finish battle/continue battle screen.

PS. and now I'm having trouble with the road to moscow mission; those russians kick my *** everytime... I guess I just need more hours of gameplay ;)

I have managed to finish the mission quite easily (much easier than any of the Polish campaign missions), acting similar to the scheme drawn by Normal. I used 2 Pz38s (attacking to the right) and 2 Pz IVs (to the left) to quickly engage particular AT guns from different directions and then withdraw to attack in other place. I handled those distant 75s with long-range fire and artillery support. My losses were one Pz IV and one Pz 38 immobilized (I also lost a crewmember and some infantry). This worked out quite well and I needed infantry support only to kill remaining gun crews and counterattacking French infantry. My losses were one Pz IV and one Pz 38 immobilized (I also lost a crewmember and some infantry). What is interesting however, I haven't encountered the French heavy tank. I wonder if its apperance is determined by the path you take while attacking? I also observed something like that in the next mission, where 3 T-34s counterattack against your right flank only, when you are trying to flank the Russians. If you proceed through the centre of the map, they don't come. Which is quite reasonable, I would say, because leaves you with a choice whether to attack frontally or try to outflank the enemy, but for the price of dealing with heavier resistance.

Which was also surprising for me - after reading posts above - is that the mission ended unexpectedly for me. I've knocked out all the French 75 mm guns and tanks, but I have not manned them with my own troops. Neither have I killed all enemy troops. In fact most of the infantry in the last line of trench were still defending. I think that the victory conditions should be more precise - simple victory locations (flags) work much better.

One more problem with mission design I encountered are reinforcement AT guns. If you get a truck towing an ATG you would expect it to carry its crew as well. Instead we get a gun itself and... a regular infantry squad. Weird... It is not only the question of gunnery skills, but also assigning a crew - you have to manually pick individual infantrymen and order them to man the gun. I think this should be changed for the sake of more pleasant gameplay, not mentioning some realism.

Adam

• 6 months later...

I finished that mission last night after spending one evening prior to that on it.

Well, I made it with only two of my men surviving. I lost everything and everyone else.

At the end, the scary part was that, even though they were no longer able to use their main guns, two heavy French tanks in the North of the map still had their crew inside them and had to be convinced otherwise. One of them actually still hat a working coax MG, which luckily proved useless against my men crawling towards the tank.

Since my two men only had their rifle, and MG34 respectively, they shot each tank until finally the crews jumped out. Luckily, crews bailing are rather panicky, they could be dispatched easily.

What made this whole final bit somewhat tedious was the fact that one of my men didn't like the close proximity to the disabled tanks and kept panicking, running off for a while, then coming back, running off, coming back.

But in the end, I finished the mission successfully.

• 5 months later...

Something that helps a lot to destroy the AT guns: have your tanks target an area near the gun rather than targeting the gun itself, if you see that your tank has difficulty engaging the target. Sometimes, it looks like the LOS/LOF is not good enough for the gunner, and he's not shooting, and get's destroyed by the AT gun. Also, most of the time, your tanks are not able to see the ennemy AT guns, but know where they're located thanks to your infantry having a line of sight on them. Then your tanks can destroy infantry maning the guns without exposing themselves if they shoot at an area very close to the gun. The gunners will be killed by the blast, leaving the gun intact, so your infantry can man the ennemy guns afterward, which is even more help for taking out the french tanks reinforcements.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This map seems to be setup for a right flanking maneuver. I used a similar tactic to those mentioned previously. One scouting squad and 3 tanks spaced out to cover the area. Took out the 2 French tanks that are setup to out flank you if not discovered. Then took out the reverse slope gun positions one at a time from right to left. The French R35 tank on the left flank came across and tried to draw my tanks into the gun positions. Most of my tank losses resulted from the tanks acting on their own initiative.