Polish

Guest lmgroth

It appears so... they are located in the folder

...Battlefront\Theatre of War\Missions folder\Polish

German campaign appears to have the most (12).

Spoilers below!

In battle one I have problems with the scripting. The first trench is poorly placed and gets wiped out, so I put all my troops and guns in the second and third trench lines on the reverse slope. It worked a treat, allowed me to wipe out the panzers as they crest the hill. Unfortunately then nothing happens because the script parks the remaining Germans at the first trench line. It forces me to take the ridiculous step of wheeling my guns to the slope so they can take pot shots. Of course, at that range they are spotted easily and wiped out.

Another stupid thing was the script parking a panzer just below the crest on my right flank. He just stood there doing nothing. I wheeled a gun over until he just had line of sight and got him to fire. Shell after shell hit the top of the PIIIs turret until it resembled the surface of the moon, but I could not knock it out and the tank would not move. Grrrr. What to do?

Has anybody else had similar problems? How do you win game 1 without withdrawing to the second line of defence? Do you guys just hold on in the first line of trenches? I can't prevent my AT guns from getting hit by seemingly laser guided shells if I leave them there.

I see that many of my questions have been answered.

This thread is great for a general description of tactics. Well worth checking out Elmar Bijlsma's advice:

ake the 75mm's. They are great fending of armour anyway, and, and this is important, have a bigger bang then the German PAKs. Beat off the initial German attack from a reverse slop position. Then go scrounging for MG34s with one Polish infantry squads and also give that squad all sniper rifles. Sneak other squads as close to the hill as you dare, in a wide hook from the hill you start behind. Put the guns on the hill in such a way that they can lob shells near the German guns without being seen. You should take out the crews fairly easily. Failing that the heavily kitted out squad should find a position they like where they can see a gun, then you distract that gun with one of the squads sent on a wide hook in such a manner that the gun will face away from the heavy squad. Open fire with the heavy squad. If any German crewmember lasts long enough to re-orientate the gun I'd be highly surprised. A third method to tackle the guns is to speed your tanks from the hill you are behind to hill a bit further along the river, and from behind that one to the hill. You'll only be exposed for a short time and should get to the back of the German held hill. From close up the ATGs don't stand a chance! I prefer a combination of all three methods, resulting in minimal casualties.

With all guns de-crewed: RUSH! Get to the guns ASAP

and move them down the hill towards towards the river and point them to that place too, the tanks from there will be be sighted first. With this first wave dealt with the lst Germans come over the top of the hill. If you have'nt moved the ATGs down hill there's a good chance they'll be abandoned/overrun before you can get a shot off. If you have, it's a turkey shoot.

If you find this mission difficult, you probably have gone toe to toe with the Germans. Don't! Especially not with the first wave that'll hit you in the opening minutes. They'll eat you alive. Reverse slopes and a sneaky TKS or two(I love them) in the flanks and it's like taking candy from a baby.

Spoilers below!

I think its also important to note that in mission 2, you recieve a third wave of reinforcements consisting of about 7 tanks and tankettes. taking the hill is not a requirement for recieving these reinforcements. very helpful.

*edit* - i forgot - you can sneak your squads close to the guns on the hill using the tree line along the road. Just have them crawl and hold fire. It requires a bit of patience, and you may draw fire from the guns if individual soldiers stray from cover ( which *does* happen ) but it can be done.

Polish mission one is all about the gunzzz.

You dump your Bofors AT guns and take as many 75mm as you can. You leave the infantry in the first trenchens and the guns on the reverse side of the hills with their turrets poking just over the hills crest. Then its all down to blasting tanks and luck. One that mission on the second try with just 11 men dead no material losses.

what about the third one?

the second wave pf Pz 38s and 35s at extreme range makes a turkey shoot of my 7tPs and my 40mms, not to mention the fact that theres a Pz IV mixed in there with them. its kinda scary.

what about the third one?
Here's how I pulled it off (posted elsewhere):

So playing on veteran level, I finally was able to hold back the German onslaught. I came into this battle with just 15 points to spare, so I had to get creative with my units.

*** possible spoilers below ***

</font>

• Default assets at my disposal

- Squad (x2) (incl. 1x ATR)
    - 7TP (x2)
    - TKS MG (x2)
    - Bofors wz36 (x2)</font>

With the above units, I was unable to hold back the German advance, never mind mount any form of counterattack (even considering my reinforcements).

So with a mere 15 points to spare, I got rid of the two Bofors, one TKS MG and one 7TP light tank. With the extra points, I exchanged all that for two 75mm AT guns.

</font>

• Updated assets

- Squad (x2) (incl. 1x ATR)
    - 7TP (x1)
    - TKS MG (x1)
    - 75mm FGWz.1897 (x2)</font>

I placed my most skilled and experienced men into the battle, substituting where feasible.

The plan was to see if I could stave off the initial attack from the south without calling for mortar support, long enough for the reinforcements to arrive. I wanted to have all three mortar strikes available for the final German push from the west.

It was critical that I kept the German infantry attacking from the south at bay, as my two AT gun crews would be exposed. To that end, I had the squads in the trenches hold position and placed the TKS MG to the SW behind some brush. The TKS didn't get to fire off a shot before being destroyed, but I still managed to successfully hold against the initial waves from the south.

Once the attack from the south petered out and the push from the west started in earnest, I brought all remaining assets to bear. Luckily I still had both AT guns, and more importantly their qualified crews, available for defense. Once the dust settled, I had managed to pull off a decisive victory.

Results:

</font>

• Polish Casualties:

6 men
    3 tanks</font>

</font>

• German Casualties:

92 men
    14 tanks</font>

In all, a very enjoyable battle!

Note: If anyone would like, I can post a screenshot of my unit setup at the start of this battle.

using the same assets, i got:

polish casualties:

17 men

0 tanks

german casualties:

99 men

13 tanks

amazing what a difference those 75mms made, although a majority of the casualties were from the ranks of the AT gun crews.

• 2 weeks later...

what does it take to trigger the third wave of reenforcements? after taking the hill My troupes and tanks get hammered by an overwelming number of geman tanks. Ive tried abandoning the hill to wait for reenforcements but they never come.

Originally posted by jdevlin:

Spoilers below!

I think its also important to note that in mission 2, you recieve a third wave of reinforcements consisting of about 7 tanks and tankettes. taking the hill is not a requirement for recieving these reinforcements. very helpful.