If you have a dual core and Nvidia video card

and you set the tow setup to single processor only, AND you are still having slow framerate AND have an nvidia card, do the following:

Open the nvidia control panel

Go to 3d settings

Go to manage 3d.

Set the amount of monitors to one, and set the threaded optimization to Auto.

nvid.jpg

I forgot who found this first but thanks! This gives everyone an iea of what it looks like.

Rune

[ June 25, 2007, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Rune, you are a genius! Please marry me!

Switching to one monitor is all it took. The game runs perfectly now. And what a game!! Yes!! It's beautiful!!

E6600 Core 2 Duo chip now running at a healthy 40-50%, rather than the constant 100% previously - and its so smooth to watch and operate. Previously it was so slow and jerky as to be completely unplayable.

Okay, so a slight disadvantage not being able to have the manual or anything else open on my second screen, but hopefully that can be remedied soon with an update (??)

Thanks Dude, and everyone else involved. ToW is looking like it's just what we hoped it would be. Yippppppeeeeeeeeee!!!!

My card is a 7950GT. For this I right click on the desktop and open Nvidia Control Panel (you can also open it from Windows Control Panel). Then click on Display - Multiple Displays - Change Display Configuration. This gives me a list of choices for monitor setup. Click Use One Display. That's it, but I don't know if 8800 has the same setup.

Here is a solution I've found to my horrible framerate issues with my core2duo 6300, and geforce 8800GTS.

When I start the game and load a scenario, the initial framerate is unbelievably slow ~5fps.

If I open the in game video options panel, and check off the "use one cpu" box and click apply, then go back in to the game, the framerate has increased to around 10-15fps.

Finally, if I return to the ingame options panel and uncheck the "use one cpu" box and click apply, when I return to the game the framerate again increases to over 20fps or higher... perfectly playable.

So long as I don't restart the game, loading a new scenario will remain at a good framerate.

This seems like very strange behavior, but perhaps the game is not properly initialising it's multithreading code when it starts up. Perhaps resetting the system once a map is loaded is forcing it to properly recognise the cpu.

Hope this helps someone... I'm curious to know if this situation occurs on anyone else's machine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by ADDAX:

Here is a solution I've found to my horrible framerate issues with my core2duo 6300, and geforce 8800GTS.

When I start the game and load a scenario, the initial framerate is unbelievably slow ~5fps.

If I open the in game video options panel, and check off the "use one cpu" box and click apply, then go back in to the game, the framerate has increased to around 10-15fps.

Finally, if I return to the ingame options panel and uncheck the "use one cpu" box and click apply, when I return to the game the framerate again increases to over 20fps or higher... perfectly playable.

So long as I don't restart the game, loading a new scenario will remain at a good framerate.

This seems like very strange behavior, but perhaps the game is not properly initialising it's multithreading code when it starts up. Perhaps resetting the system once a map is loaded is forcing it to properly recognise the cpu.

Hope this helps someone... I'm curious to know if this situation occurs on anyone else's machine.

Yup, did the same, worked for me!

That issue needs a patch! ;)

• 5 months later...

I have a Geforce7950GT i have double processors...as rune say....I turn one off but still low frame i think (Wen i go to encyclopedy or to the reiforcements units menu or the game its stays slow...stops...goes...stops...goes...I think its the frame)I done what rune sayend but in my nvida 3d settings i dont have the amount of monitors threaded optmization...so my game stills crap..Dk why but in demo sometimes worked well other times no...Same in full game...But now it doesn t work well no more

Sry my english and pls help because i still think this game rocks...while playng CMSF :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Howdy rune, that's a good tip. I did not realize that TOW used OpenGL until I downloaded it. I've been playing with the Nvidia control panel and I got a nice frame rate boost by disabling threaded optimization and enabling triple buffering in addition to the things you mentioned. Since it is my understanding that triple buffering only benefits OpenGL I set up a custom profile for TOW executable, because most of the other games I run use Direct-X engine. It completely fixed the stuttering in the opening movie, and I'm getting 25-40 FPS in the game.

• 2 months later...