Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

ATI cards : why is Fog available on Mac only ??

Just for my personal knowledge smile.gif

ATI cards on PC gives no Fog in CM, because they don't support "fog table emulation"...

Why hell does it work on a Mac ??

If the limitations comes from the card, it should be just the same...If it comes from the PC drivers, they should be fixed/upgraded, no ??

Has a techie some hindsight on this ?

That'd be my guess too...

ATI has had problems with fog effects in DirectX for quite awhile. Despite patches and registry tweaks I have yet to see an ATI driver provide the fog-table support that CM needs on the PC (though supposedly some of the driver updates attempted to fix fog-table support in a couple of other games).

Schrullenhaft,

Thanx for the reply wink.gif

I begin to lose faith on this one, however the latest Rage128 patch description on atitech *speaks of* fog table : here's the link :

http://support.ati.com/drivers/winme/winme_r128_4137078_sp.html

Do you think it could be of some help ?

I'm reluctant to try it, as it's still beta and I already had to back up from installing latest ATI drivers with CM frown.gif

You can try it out, but I'm pretty sure that fog-table support is still lacking. In this particular case it seems as if they had to create the fog-table setting so Star Wars SpeedRacer would work with its vertex-fog (fog-tables have to be disabled for it to work).

Strangely, I remember an earlier driver update was supposed to fix fog-tables for another game (Indiana Jones...), but I don't know if it actually worked or not.

This may be one of the last drivers for the Rage 128 family. ATI is focusing their resources on the Radeon family and the Rage 128 family is probably going to see the 'end-of-life' for support pretty soon.