iMac Problems

ct

I've downloaded the gold demo f/ mac and it seems to work fine. But these threads of imac problems are worrying me. Before I spend the $, is it safe to assume that if the demo works acceptably well that the actual game will, too?

Thanks in advance f/input- ct

On a Mac, if the Gold Demo works fine for you then, in general, the full version should also be fine. I don't believe that the ATI video chipsets on the iMacs pose much of a problem compatibility-wise (though some of the latest iMacs have Rage 128s and there does seem to be some sort of issue with the latest drivers that the iMacs need and CM). Since the iMacs have a limited amount of video memory, some of the larger scenarios could be quite slow.

One difference between the Gold Demo and the Full version is that sounds are sampled at a higher rate (44kHz vs. 22kHz). On the Macs I don't believe this poses much of a problem. I'm told that SoundSprocket v. 1.0 (that comes with GameSprockets 1.5) works better than the latest SoundSprocket, so you may want to do a search for that and find a site to download it from (I believe that the SoundSprocket v. 1.0 alone will work with the latest GameSprockets - so no need to retrograde your GameSprockets for sound only).

To get the full details on the possible problems you might run into you may want to specify exactly which iMac you have.

Just a note on my experience. Decided to "test drive" the iMac with CM. A local dealer let me try the game on a 1999 version of the upper end iMac (equivalent to the Graphite model now out). Fabulous fog, snow, rain...great speeds and response. On the down side it appears, from posts to this forum, that the new iMacs are not so cooperative.

TTate

You may be right, TTate. I installed CM yesterday on my original Bondi and so far no problems save for the rare random line of pixels and a missing letter in a line of text. I guess it sometimes pays not to upgrade. The next test is Soundsprockets which I'm downloading tonight.

ct

CM works fine on iMacs. I believe most of the problems were on older machines, and could be solved simply by manually switching resolutions. I'm on an older iMac DV, no problems here.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska