Last try

OK...back when the full version of the game was released I encountered a problem that did not occur in either the beta or gold demo.

My piece of junk Motorola internal modem would bump me off line when a game is opened (not when CM is launched but when a "game" is opened). The only advice I got that I could use was to "get an external modem". Peng was kind enough to give me one and it did the trick but in the last week it has been crapping out on me and now appears to be dead. At work I had aa extra internal modem (Conexant) and installed it last night. It was doing the same thing as the Motorola. Hiram helped me through a couple of things (such as making sure that all traces of the older modems are gone) and it seemed to work..sorta. The file transfer was slower for TCP/IP than I am used to. This morning I figured that maybe it was just the connection we had or his modem (I was connected at 48k). This morning, with the help of Muzzlehead in the chat room, I open a game with him. Bumped off right away. It seems to bump me intermittently with just opening a game and always with TCP/IP now.

My options are now this:

1)Buy a new external modem (I have purchased 4 copies of CM so far. One for myself, my father and two fiends. So if I have invested that much in the game what's another 70-80 bucks for a modem {I can rationalize anything}).

2)Try to make this one work. I cannot be the only one with a PCI modem playing CM.

System:

P3 500mhz

128 megs of ram

RIVA TNT

Windows 98 2nd ed

All drivers are up to date.

I figure if someone has a good idea for me in the next couple hours I will hold off buying the external. But I am a CM junky...and an even bigger CM TCP/IP junky so this is a high priority thing for me.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

Elvis, check if your new modem is "software" or "hardware" controlled. It should say on the box. If its a software one then these are not ideal for playing games online as they use your CPU power to drive the modem and games accordingly run a lot slower, have problems etc...

The best solution is to buy an external modem - probably a 3Com, they work great every time!

PS I don`t work for 3Com ;)

Or just buy an ISA internal modem. It runs via hardware only. Cheap as dirt too, and will do the trick just fine. However, ISA is going away, slowly but surely. You may not even have an ISA slot in your comp.

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

I bought a new external modem. As soon as I get home I will need someone to try it out with me.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng