Mission Editor Questions for SoaN

Oudy

I have a couple of questions/observations about the Mission Editor.

1. Can a player begin a mission with a gun limbered to a truck and the gun crew inside the truck? If so, how?

2. The only way I've found to begin a mission with guns limbered is to start with them asleep, attach them in the mission tree then activate them with ReinforcementLand command. The problem is that the gun crews disappear and I have to make a new infantry detachment to crew the guns. Why is this?

3. Then, when I make a new gun crew, even if I make one of the men the gunner, he still doesn't get gunnery skills when they are created. So, I have to manually gave him gunnery skills. But...

4. In the mission tree, the skill level of all the units is -1. I assume if it is -1 the game will randomly create skill points. What happens when I manually assign skill points. Do they keep them and will they skill up automatically if they survive or will they always keep their original sill level?

5. In the game you can attach a Russian Heavy Machine gun (either one) to a GAZ-67 Jeep, but you cannot attach them in the mission tree. Is it possible, or do you have to manually attach it in the game?

I would appreciate any clarification to these issues, and I'm looking forward to the Map Editor.

Thanks

Oudy

1. Can a player begin a mission with a gun limbered to a truck and the gun crew inside the truck? If so, how?

As for attaching units, see

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=63;t=001138#000000

2. The only way I've found to begin a mission with guns limbered is to start with them asleep, attach them in the mission tree then activate them with ReinforcementLand command. The problem is that the gun crews disappear and I have to make a new infantry detachment to crew the guns. Why is this?

The gun crew does not dissapear. The crew infantries automatically get out of the gun if it is attached to the truck. So you need to wake them up separately using their own unit ids.

3. Then, when I make a new gun crew, even if I make one of the men the gunner, he still doesn't get gunnery skills when they are created. So, I have to manually gave him gunnery skills. But...

4. In the mission tree, the skill level of all the units is -1. I assume if it is -1 the game will randomly create skill points. What happens when I manually assign skill points. Do they keep them and will they skill up automatically if they survive or will they always keep their original skill level?

If the skill level is -1, the game will randomly create initial skill point values dependently on the vehicular unit and the crew set level. So if you add an elite crew, one of the units will have high gunnery skills in the game.

You may manually assign initial skill points. Some skill points may increase during the mission (e.g. accuracy), some ones remain the same (e.g. intelligence), the others may be advanced by the player at the end of the battle. It doesn't matter whether the mission designer manually have assigned the points or they have been randomly generated by the game.

5. In the game you can attach a Russian Heavy Machine gun (either one) to a GAZ-67 Jeep, but you cannot attach them in the mission tree. Is it possible, or do you have to manually attach it in the game?

I'm afraid it's a bug. It'll be fixed.

Thank you for your questions, Oudy

Hmm, regarding question two. I create the artillery piece, crew it and give it ammunition. Then I create the towing vehicle, in this case a Zis-5. I can see the crew ID under the artillery, but when I attach the artillery to the truck the crew tag disappears from the mission tree. When I then wake up the unit and detach the gun in the game there is no crew, even after writing down the crew ID and trying to wake it up. Consequently, the only way I could get a crew is to manually create another infantry detachment, eliminate 6 of the men and put that 4-man detachment into the truck...But I would still don't know what happened to the original crew in the Mission tree?

I'm probably just missing something obvious.

All the best

Oudy

Originally posted by Oudy:

Hmm, regarding question two. I create the artillery piece, crew it and give it ammunition. Then I create the towing vehicle, in this case a Zis-5. I can see the crew ID under the artillery, but when I attach the artillery to the truck the crew tag disappears from the mission tree. When I then wake up the unit and detach the gun in the game there is no crew, even after writing down the crew ID and trying to wake it up. Consequently, the only way I could get a crew is to manually create another infantry detachment, eliminate 6 of the men and put that 4-man detachment into the truck...But I would still don't know what happened to the original crew in the Mission tree?

I'm probably just missing something obvious.

All the best

Oudy

Well, original crew simply vanished. :D

Unfortunately, the only way to get a crew is the way you did it.

Originally posted by SoaN:

Well, original crew simply vanished. smile.gif

Maybe the aliens got them ;)

I have a couple of other questions about distributing user made campaigns.

1. What is going to be the easiest way to do this? When I add a new battle I have to go into the campaign editor to make sure the "Number" and "Sid" are unique.

2. What is going to happen when there are hundreds of user made battles? Is there an easy way to add new battles and campaigns, or will users have to manually do it?

3. When you zip up your battle for distribution, what files need to be included? I assume the whole directory needs to be included?

Thanks again

Oudy