Disappointed

monkeezgob

Well, tried the demo and while it looks nice, and I do want to support BF, this is not for me. Shame, I had high hopes for it, but the LOS issues and the inability to insert waypoints are too high a price to pay for the pretty graphics.

Maybe I'll come back to once I see what's included in the patches, but for now I'll stick to CM.

At least your were responsible enough to try the demo rather then rashly pre-order it and then whine about it.

Yeah hopefully after a few patches it will be top notch. For me I love the game, even with its short comings.

You may not like it...but waypoints and LOS aren't the problem..other things are. LOS is correct. waypoints..I mean really..that's going to stop you from playing and too high a price for a game "you like". assuming you liked it..which may not be the case.

Well, If I'd liked it, I wouldn't have written the post. I would just have gone ahead and bought it as it was after playing the demo...but because of the issues I listed (and there were others too, particularly regarding the AI) I didn't.

Like I said, it has great potential, I'd just rather wait until that potential is realized before I buy it.

"At least your were responsible enough to try the demo rather then rashly pre-order it and then whine about it."

I guess you are right, we were rash in trusting that battlefront would put out a complete, great game, shame on us.

Um 1C made the game, not battlefront. But again doing a little looking might have revealed that.

From the web site:

Since we first announced the game last fall, we (Battlefront.com) have been working hard with the developer (1c) to enhance the overall realism of the game as well as add new game features and options. Below is just a short list of the dozens of improvements that have been made so far.

Notice how it says 1c is the developers, not battlefront.

To be honest I am not really pointing the finger at you, just at those who whine that they paid hard earned money for a game yet did not bother to look beyond the battlefront logo. If it was so hard earned it was then their responsibility to themselves to seek out all the info about the game.

Well to be honest I was one of the Rash ones to pre-order. But luckily for me I liked the game I got. Regardless if I had disliked it at least I would have been able to accept it was my fault for being rash.

[ May 03, 2007, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: wokelly ]

Originally posted by HardRock:

You may not like it...but waypoints and LOS aren't the problem..other things are. LOS is correct. waypoints..I mean really..that's going to stop you from playing and too high a price for a game "you like". assuming you liked it..which may not be the case.

What exactly do you mean LOS is correct Hardrock?? Is this your expert opinion or are you speaking for the masses? Also what exactly do you mean LOS is not the problem? It may not be a problem for you which is fine. And I say that in a non-condescending tone. But, for the peeps who may be disappointed with TOW, 70% of those rate the LOS issue as number 1. That is precisely the one issue that HAS become a deal breaker for many. Excluding those of course who cannot get the game running. ;)

Whaco..did you read the thread on the developers explanation of it? There is no bug. It works how they intended..unless infact it is wrong.

Clearly the manual states a colored icon can be seen. So why do people insist on first person view to be the answer of LOS, it's not.

Furthermore you're looking at naked eye..not a maginifcation the gunner and commander see.

Furthermore trees don't block LOS. Take some binocs and look thru a few trees..not a forest and picture a tank there..you will see it. Now one could complain there are no forests in the maps to hide behind..

What's different is it is different from other games where you are used to a tool that draws a straight line for you and anything that intersects it blocks it.

Yeah I know LOS is the no deal breaker for you guys. But I read "if I can't see him then he shouldn't see me and that clearly tells me they have no concept of it.

At the risk of further derailing, wokelly, you should be more careful! You might need a stepladder to get on that horse of yours soon. I think it's pretty cheap to get in jabs at people who pre-ordered the game when the topic wasn't even raised.

Well said HardRock, I preordered and have no regerets, I knew this wasn't going to be realtime CM.

The first couple of times I played I was really frustrated at the LOS arrangment, but once I started really looking at what this game is.. basically the anti-thesis of CoH, FoW, ect... Im even more pleased with it - as is.

Sure it needs a tweek or two, but I think it delivered what was advertised, good work Battlefront for seeing it through.

One thing that I know for sure, and which I admire, is that the LOS calculations for soldiers being obscured by buildings and terrain are super-precise! I would go as far as to say that they are on FPS levels.

As for vegetation ... I guess that there is just too little of it to block LOS reliably.

The worst for me would be that there is no WYSIWYG connection between 3D objects and terrain (tile?) data, leaving map coding open to errors from the map maker! I hope this is not the case.

Best regards,

Thomm

wokelly's post was certainly uncalled for as response to monkeezgob merely voicing his opinion.

Chazman, score another one-line post from you with jabs at Battlefront. If you have nothing on-topic to contribute, sooner or later my patience with you is going to run out. It's your right to not like the game, but that doesn't make TOW incomplete nor bad.

Martin

Originally posted by wokelly:

I have to admit, these things about LOS issues confuse me. I have never had problems with the "Laser ATGs" or inf being slaughtered. It all works fine for me.

Usually it works out for me too - but from time to time weird things happen. In one scenario I had tanks pick out my AT guns instantly even though they were completely hidden and holding fire/position. I also find it a bit weird that AT guns can pick off every member of a squad with craters exactly at the feet of each kill - although of course being cautious avoids this, I'd expect heavy casualties but not in quite the way they happen. In another on the other hand (2nd to last allied mission) I had a series of long/medium range duels between tanks/ATs guns where neither side seemed to be having much luck. People who say that the terrain is wide open, that trees etc have no effect or that the AI has ridiculous advantages are clearly exaggerating/making things up for effect - but for me at least some tweaks to the system are needed.

Have fun

Finn

I was really looking forward to this game but I am glad I hel off on buying it. No smoke, cant enter building? No on map mortars? This game has the foundation from what I seen to be very good but it needs some polishing up for me on the realism first. The screen shots are very lovely though. smile.gif

I think that TOW is such a good game. I have read a lot of the criticism posted. Most of you guys with negitive reviews don’t know what your talking about. Clearly you haven’t spent the time to READ the manuals/ tutiorals, apply the varibles of how the game is suppose to play. Simply, your drawing your conclusions way to early. I really just want to thank the developers of TOW for creating this game. I hope the game is sucessful, because I want to see more exciting and strategic games like this one pooring into the gaming market.

"Chazman, score another one-line post from you with jabs at Battlefront. If you have nothing on-topic to contribute, sooner or later my patience with you is going to run out. It's your right to not like the game, but that doesn't make TOW incomplete nor bad."

I was being faceteous, and my jab was directed towards Wokelly, for implying that anyone who did a preorder was a sucker acting rashly.

Do you think that all of your fans who pre ordered, acted rashly?

As for being incomplete, the game is incomplete, if it wasn't the majority here wouldn't be waiting with baited breath for the multi pointed patch you guys are supposedly feverishly working on.

You mean there is no other reason for people to look forward to a patch than that?

"supposedly feverishly working on"...? Yeah, you're right - we're not really working feverishly on the patch. We're way too busy counting all the pre-order money from anyone who ordered the incomplete game rashly.

Chazman, I have warned you a couple of times now to drop the jabs and accusations. In your total of 61 posts, there is only a handful, if even that, about the game, and even those posts only echo what others said without any substance whatsoever. Like I wrote elsewhere, I am not even sure if you have played the game, and your motivations to be posting here are more than dubious.

And therefore your posting privileges end right here.

Martin

Originally posted by HardRock:

Whaco..did you read the thread on the developers explanation of it? There is no bug. It works how they intended..unless infact it is wrong.

Clearly the manual states a colored icon can be seen. So why do people insist on first person view to be the answer of LOS, it's not. ...

I think HardRock, that part of the problem is not the fact that they don't understand the explantion, it's that they don't like it. ToW was marketed a bit like a tactical war game from the first person view, hence the camera angles, the individial units and stats, prerelease vids etc. So to find it doesn't work that way is disappointing, maybe not to you but to some.

Just personnal taste.

I find it a little similar to CM for me because it's not first person. I kinda looked forward to the idea of individually hiding ATGs and such for a more close in combat to CM, but only to find it doesn't really work that way. That and the non enterable building.

T.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=34184

True or not ? I don't know ..But I dug this up a few days ago ..this guy if true has a storied life and I kept thinking there is a better man here than he is portraying himself as on this board ..don't know why I'm posting this here ..just sad that it had to keep going till he got himself banned ..

Regards,

Gunz