Patch status update

Moon

rofl, last I checked, 2x2km is about 1 megazillion times bigger than the next comparable RTS game.

Since you can move the playable area around on the bigger map in the editor, you can effectively create up to 4 completely different maps. At least in theory (I haven't tried it)

Martin

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this is a highly frequented thread, I would like to put forward a request here.

In the 'Command and Control' demo mission, I have big problems controlling the soldiers because the trees routinely block the view to my troops on low cameral levels.

Do the devs consider it feasible to blend out trees that are close to the camera, or make them transparent? Squad Assault had a feature like that, and it worked well. The trees closest to the camera simply vanished and allowed for control of the troops.

I guess the optimum would be if only the crown of the trees vanished and the trunk remained visible.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Moon:

rofl, last I checked, 2x2km is about 1 megazillion times bigger than the next comparable RTS game.

Wich games you talk about?

I just dont understand why you (1C) create a RTS game with realistic fireranges but the maps was so small that you cant move your tanks around because you was allmost all the time in firerange :rolleyes:

Seems to me its more a campergame then a RTS or tactical game :(

Isn't 'camping' one of those shooter words?

FPS is where you think you have found a nice defensive position then some dude with demon keyboard skillz gambols, jerks, and speed-hacks his way to you to kill you with a dagger. :(

Laying in wait is tactics.

You're out of date, my friend. Red Orchestra: Ostfront has some tank maps that are about that size.

Big differences. For one, AI calculations are not a part of RO. For another, one is real time omniscient view, and the other is a FPS.

Moon, I don't know how you are able to keep from losing your marbles. It's been like a bunch of pygmies storming a Bentley dealership screaming for tricycles in here lately.

benpark - you just get numb after a few years ;)

SirReal - like benpark said, you are comparing two entirely different things. With a fixed camera of an FPS, MANY things change from a programming point of view.

Moreover, (just curious) can you engage targets at that distance, too? Most FPS games I have seen have big maps but fudge it and only let you engage (either by horizon fog or by cleverly placing obstacles to break LOS) at MUCH shorter distances.

And of course RTS games are a different thing entirely.

Martin

Moreover, (just curious) can you engage targets at that distance, too? Most FPS games I have seen have big maps but fudge it and only let you engage (either by horizon fog or by cleverly placing obstacles to break LOS) at MUCH shorter distances.

Max engagement distances are map-dependent. Longest I've seen are 1km. I think WW2Online does allow longer distances, though - up to 5km if I recall correctly. Of course, that's a MMOFPS, with higher latencies than other FPS.

Slightly off topic, but Supreme Commander has some REALLY big maps (81kmx81km) and weapons that can fire a lot longer than 1-2 kms. So it can be done in a RTS.

We don't need such big maps for TOW though, it would take some time for the inf. to walk that long ;)

On the topic of map size vs engagement distances, isn't is so that BF increased the firing distances to realistic ones in comparison to the russian release while the map size stayed the same? It's seems from your posts that map size is hardcoded, which does make for a bit of a "confined" map with the realistic engagement distances.

Maybe this was the reason 1C opted for the gamey engagement distances, since they were not able to pull of larger maps?

molo, no, the reason why the guys you are referring to were so vocal is plainly visible on the forum, with Billybob showing his real personality this morning, and Krull admitting in a couple of posts that he likes to stirr up trouble on the forum. The reason why these guys were so "vocal" is because they wanted to stirr up s*** and had fun doing it, and that's all there is to it. Unfortunately a discussion forum is prone to this kind of thing (trolling) and in the interest of the thousands of other people on this forum it is our job to remove such people.

Martin

Totally agree, I am one who didnt like the game as is, I said it once, but left it at that. I think the difference is, dont keep coming back stirring and repeating yourself everyday about the same issue. Say your peace and cross your fingers that the problem will be addressed which it is apparently.

J

Originally posted by benpark:

Moon, I don't know how you are able to keep from losing your marbles. It's been like a bunch of pygmies storming a Bentley dealership screaming for tricycles in here lately.

LMFAO... the visualization of this just cracks me up! :D

-

I enjoy the game for what it is. I played the demo, read all the criticism here in the forum when it was released, and decided although it's not a perfect package I was going to have fun with it. So I ordered a few days ago. I like it for what it is and disregard what it is not. Just like all games. It was not custom made for me.

Now, there are some real bugs which will be addressed in a patch and this was the purpose of this thread in the first place.

I don't have the inclination, nor the time to post here countering every negative remark. Neither, of course, do I get anything in return if I do so. I think a lot o people that like the game don't post here.

I keep saying this: I don't mind people complaining but most get close to calling the Devs morons. I think there is no need to be rude or to keep posting the same complains over and over.

--

"Moon, I don't know how you are able to keep from losing your marbles. It's been like a bunch of pygmies storming a Bentley dealership screaming for tricycles in here lately."

Benpark, that is hysterical. I just have to ask, did you hear that somewhere, or did you make it up yourself?

benpark - you just get numb after a few years ;)

SirReal - like benpark said, you are comparing two entirely different things. With a fixed camera of an FPS, MANY things change from a programming point of view.

And of course RTS games are a different thing entirely.

Martin

RO has a maximum of 4 kilometers tank fighting visibility. Especially with 50 player maps like Orel(It takes more than 5 minutes tank drive to the battle-zones). And the tank sights can be adjusted for over 5 kilometers smile.gif I'd really suggest you to try it if you like tactical games.

For me, TOW and RO makes a good couple.(Sorry for OT smile.gif )

Originally posted by benpark:

I almost sprayed a mouthful of coffee all over my monitor reading this. Thanks for the laugh, and yes, RO is quite a good game.

Play the game... instead of always complaining about this and that...sure that the game is not perfect (just as anything made by man...)

We've waited so long for this one that maybe expectations were too high...

Come back on earth... Tow is finally out, and even if it needs some fixes, we can play it... :D

Thx for the update Moon. I am happy to hear this will be patched. It isn't a surprise, but it's official and I am glad. Agreed that those who cannot play the game at all due to tech issues should be on the front burner. I personally haven't had any tech issues myself.

Anyways, Thx again. smile.gif

@benpark.... Funny dude, very funny. I laughed my butt off. Fitting.