My two cents, for anyone that cares

Pas De Charge

This is why personally I believe the game will suit my tastes exactly.I've collected CMBO, CMBB and CMAK over the years and the last two have never been off my hard drive and I've played them for countless hours and yet I've never played or even had the inclination to play any campaign or even a single battle with anything more than a Company of infantry and a few supporting weapons or armoured vehicles per side.Probably I'm in a minority here and I appreciate we all have different tastes but for me if there's anything going on in my games I want to be able to see and enjoy it as it happens so that mostly means small actions I set up for myself working from,'I wonder what would happen if...'.This also means my little battles are for me a much more personal affair where I can actually get quite concerned about those little sprites in my units :rolleyes: Anyway,as soon as I saw the Demo I thought the game had great possibilties with what I consider great graphics and I'm sure that with Battlefront's support and the efforts of the great modders in this community we'll soon have quite a game on our hands smile.gif

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really into micro managing each soldier..but I don't think I have to to win either as the default isn't exactly a lost cause. Sure you might get a little extra edge micro managing..unless I'm wrong and that is the only way to win

The two things I don't like is capturing equipment and immediately using it. That just didn't happen that much. I'd actually like to see that part of the game removed.

And then the sniper hunting ATGs might be a little too gamey. True enough there are stories of snipers holding up entire BNs. Of course an ATG is supposed to be protected by inf and if that stops the sniper then cool.

Originally posted by Chazman:

"It is most curious that you are making the exact same accusation out of thin air as ghost1.

Martin"

Are you thinking that maybe I'm really ghost, I'm a shill?

Check out my member #, I have been around since 2002.

I am very active in golf forums (have my own) and maybe I'm just a little suspect, since the golf forums are infested with shills for golf clubs and swing methods.

Where ever there is a buck to be made, I suspect the possiblity of shills is almost a given.

Oh, no doubt about it. I even get emails from "marketing" companies occasionally asking to be paid for sending people to other forums to post promotional stuff about our games. This is one of the reasons why we do not allow commercial links on these boards, by the way.

If I am thinking that you're ghost1? Don't know. If I was certain, you wouldn't be able to post this anymore. Unlike you however, who made accusations out of the blue, I have posted my reasoning for everyone to see and explained why I find your viewpoints a little odd.

I am happy to leave it at that because frankly I don't care if somebody who has been banned before or whatever else his real motivation is makes it back to the forum, as long as he behaves and allows others to have a discussion as well.

You have changed your tone noticeably since a couple of days ago, after I banned three of the guys who were having a lot of "fun" (and the same applies to a handful of other names by the way), and that's all I am asking for.

If we couldn't stand criticism this forum wouldn't be here, or it would be operated by some faceless "community manager" and not the guys who are making the game(s).

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

You might have come closest I guess as yet to the core of the problem some people might be having with the game. They're playing with the mindset of a company commander, ordering his squads and platoons around, whereas the scale of the game really is at the platoon level.

It shouldn't really be a surprise though, in a game featuring skills for each individual soldier on the battlefield, allowing you to micromanage even the type of ammo each one is using.

I can see where this is not to everybody's liking. If you are using to move companies around as one "unit" or, at best at the scale of CM, whole squads, then the transition to the individual soldier might be difficult.

Tastes are different. For my part, I am usually bored to death by operational level games, but love the small scale, and I am starting to suspect that most people here enjoying TOW have a similar preference.

Martin

Fair enough, and I appreciate the response. I probably have only myself to blame for not spending more time with the demo to figure this out. Micromanaging individual soldiers to this degree (e.g. having to choose ammo when I think the AI should have a reasonable default) is too much like work and not enough like fun for my tastes. To each his own.

Unfortunately, this has turned me off even more to

RTS genre games than I was when I started. I'll have to stick to FPS and strategy games I guess.

"If we couldn't stand criticism this forum wouldn't be here, or it would be operated by some faceless "community manager" and not the guys who are making the game(s)."

I just hope you guys can patch, what I consider the major problems with this game, the LOS/LOF stuff, no building entries and the uncontrolable troops and vehicles.

I have played the game for about 5-6 hours and do appreciate the close up graphics, problem is, the game play doesn't lend well to playing with a close up view??

Chazman, it does, very much so in fact, you just have to silence the clock ticking in your head. There is no clock in the game, nor a mission end timer, you have all the time in the world to make tactical decisions, get down to first person view level and explore and plan. When I was first playing TOW I did it like I was playing CM (from cam views 3-4 mostly) and that isn't going to work in the long run in TOW.

Martin

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

While we're at it, did you take a look at ToW yet? What's your impression, rollstoy? I'ld be really interested to hear.

Well, I am still playing the demo, so presumably I do not have more possibilities for judging the game than you have. </font>

TOW is a rather prolific game smile.gif

But to be honest, even per timeframe it's not all that much. Playable code is now out for what, two weeks? That's a rather acceptable average. Especially considering that there have been 600 or so new registrations in this time to the forum, and several thousand games sold.

Martin

I'm all for open forums and such but I can't help but noticing that since they have been gone the discussions have been more thoughtful than when they were here. People withissues are still voicing them but they are doing it in a way that isn't offensive.

I think that the BF staff have been incredibly patient. This is a company-owned forum. BF pays for it. It's their dime. It exists to help them promote interest in their products. If "someone" is actively using the BF boards to undermine that end, the management has EVERY right to eliminate "someone's" ability to do so, PERIOD.

PoE

Yes they do! I was not coming by to check the forum as much during the "troll" invasion. It was boring and had nothing to do with what interrested me. I also feel they excercised waaaay more patience than I could have. My hat is off to you Moon. How you could have been so patient is beyond me. Now they are gone or at least silenced. I don't mind a voicing of oppinions, but it went way too far.

Now that it is "safe" to surf the forum again I am enjoying the threads here like before. Thanks.

:D;)

Battlefront.com is really one of the best companies in the world. They are doing this with heart and passion.

I will drink one for your health today - just met a really gorgeus girl so I am in seventh heaven. uh...

Well, so I will lessen my ToW time considerably ;)

Cheers,

Mario

Originally posted by Ghost1:

let's get out of this F*****g place.. Stick yer game and yer fanbois..Good luck you will need it!!! yeah I'm gone but there's plenty more that will see the TRUTH about this utter drek you call a game. [/QB]

Don't be such a coward or at least wait till your booted dude.

Look, BF forums have always been supportive for *constructive comments but instead you posted right out of the box a flame. I've seen this approach at some other gaming forums and they usually result in totally worthless reading..it doesn't work here. You'll need to smarten up your comments and explain the *exact problems you had/have and leave the guessing rhetoric at those *other places. Just a tip...you'd have to be fairly caustic and overly stupid to get kicked at BF.

I personally think much too much was made of your accusations/post,it should have been simply ignored it's the best way to handle flames/flamers, they leave on their own then.

[ May 05, 2007, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: mystro ]

Originally posted by Moon:

TOW is a rather prolific game smile.gif

But to be honest, even per timeframe it's not all that much. Playable code is now out for what, two weeks? That's a rather acceptable average. Especially considering that there have been 600 or so new registrations in this time to the forum

well, yes, and considering the likely crowd that ToW would / *did* attract - we sort of predicted that, didnt we?