What about a Replay feature?

JcbGfnr

One great feature that could be added would be to be able to rewind or replay. Sometimes there is so much going on that I find it difficult to zoom in on the cool stuff because I'm too busy being commander.

Maybe a in game rewind where you can step back and watch what just happened of the past minute or so but not be able to issue orders at that time.

Or maybe, even better would be the option for the battle to be saved so that if we wanted we could watch and rewatch the battle and be able to zoom in on the action without having to worry about orders.

Just a thought.

BUMP!

This would be absolutely fantastic.

As it is, I play this game almost a la CM. I pause, plot my moves, then play it for a minute or so.

15 minutes of real time action takes me like 30 - 45 minutes.

But being able to watch the whole thing unfold in real time would be mind blowing!

Madmatt? Moon? Someone? Please?

No replay feature = no ability to watch what is happening on most of the battlefield close-up, right? I think the biggest thing the game has going for it (*personal opinion*--before someone jumps on me) is its gorgeous graphics, but in a battle with more than a few units it's hard to spot more than a few dramatic scenes while you're busy managing, and you can't zoom in and watch more than one unfold if you can't rewind/replay!

Oh boys, you can't imagine how right you are!! Such a feature would add so much enjoyment for me. You play a game, as Gen Schmaeterling said, of 15 min game time in 30 - 45 min and afterwards you can have another 30 min fun, just watching from different angles what was going on.

Ultimately for me would be: After the battle has ended I can choose if I watch the action with or without FOW! Without FOW after the battle you can see enemy forces going in position to ambush or to attack you. This way you have all the possibilities of a little movie making in the game. With FOW you can check your own strategies, positioning and improve on them the next time you play that battle.

Uwe

This would add so much to the game, and would also greatly improve the learning process. When I fininsh a battle it is not at all unusual for me to have a few unanswered questions about what happened. There is always some tank or squad that was wiped out when I wasn not watching, and I am left guessing when and how it happened.

Let's keep this bumped up until we hear a response from Moon or MadMatt on the practicality of adding this feature.

I agree. This feature is badly needed.

I spend most of a battle from a bird's eye view so I can keep tabs on most of my units and the enemy. It would be nice to review the action afterwards.

IL-2 replay tracks are great but you can't rewind mid-play. If the TOW developers ever add this please include a rewind feature.

Gravy

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I’d use my first post to bump this thread…

A definitive answer to the above two questions by ‘Gen’ & Zitadelle would be great. If possible I think such an option would add much to this title.

Great game by the way, after getting to grips with the ‘camera’…

Opel

Please add this feature. I'm trying to fraps the Bulge battle right now and there is so much stuff happening at opposite ends of the map. By paying attention to a tank battle on one side of the map I missed 2 german squads cresting a hill that had 2 shermans and 2 squads in a reverse slope defensive position laying in wait. All I see left is a field of white uniformed bodies.

I have to agree a replay function is very much needed for this game. I had the same problem with COH, in that I wanted to watch the cinematic aspect but I had to move my guys around so much I never got the chance to appreciate the battles.

----------

"We had hoped to include this feature but 1C said that while the game was *based* on the Il-2 code, it is NOT the IL-2 code, and a battle replayer was not possible to include."

Madmatt

----------

Ohhhhhhhh! Madmatt you break my heart. One of the great features of the game is the incredible detail. I hate to miss the excitement across the battlefield because I'm busy coordinating the action somewhere else.

It's not just cosmetic, it's a gameplay tool as well. Combined with mico-management (stopping the game as the action unfolds), the replay provides critical feedback for the player (replay to observe how my tank or AT gun was destroed while I was across the battlefield observing how my other tanks and AT guns were being destroyed! Ouch!).

Your answer is so definitive. Battlefront has already discussed it with 1C and it's impossible. Now I'm weeping; my hopes are dashed to bits like the strike of a high explosive shell. I'm slowly dying as my hope spills out in a puddle of dispair. Uhh, well, OK, that's a little too dramatic. But may I say, "Damn! Damn! Damn!" OK, maybe that's too dramatic also. But, I'm REALLY disappointed.

Yes, I looked in vain for this feature when starting the game (while battling with the camera), and wasn't able to find it. Any CM players are just not going to be able to live without this feature. In a game of this type, it's not a 'nice' feature, it's an absolute 'must have' to allow competent command and control. How is it possible to keep abreast of what's going on during a large battle without some means of receiving accurate assessments of what's been spotted, what has happened, etc?

I'm hoping 'not possible to include' means not possible to include in the original release...

ianc