How I solve my problem on my iMac G4

Just in case it helps other people, here is how I've solved messed-up texture problem on my iMac G4 15'' flat screen. It was caused by the nvidia drivers v2.6 I had.

I've downloaded v3.0 on Apple site (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120110 )

However, the install program checks if the computer is a PowerMac and refuses to install on an iMac...

So, I've downloaded TomeViewer (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=4561&db=mac ) and used it to manually extract the 6 driver files from the v3.0 dsitribution (file 'Tome' found in 'NVIDIA Driver Update:Installer Files: NVIDIA Driver Update:Installer File'). And finally I've copied those files into the "Extentions" folder of the OS 9 System folder and rebooted.

And that's it : I've the new drivers and no more problems with CMBB !! :cool:

MM

PS : I think you should try this only if your drivers are lower than v3.0 and I advice you to make a copy of your 6 former driver files before, just in case you want to roll back...

OK!

that sounds great but I am having a little difficulty with the extraction of the extensions

can you give us a little some better step by step instructions as to how to get the extensions you need out of the nvidia driver update?

What parts of the nvidia update need to be opened in Tome and how did you extract the extensions?

The concept sounds wonderful but so far I can't extract anything from the nvidia update, as you say it does not install on an i MAC, I have the same problem you had.

THANKS for the update and "how to" smile.gif

I look forward to your reply

-tom w

[ January 02, 2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

I'm happy to have helped you 'aka_tom_w'.

For the others, here is a more detailed 'how-to' :

When file downloaded from Apple site and mounted (should be done automatically), you find on your desktop a disk image containing the install program provided by Apple. The name of this virtual disk is 'NVIDIA driver Update'. Lauch TomeViewer and select menu 'File/Open...'. With the file chooser, go to the desktop, then disk 'NVIDIA driver Update', then folder 'Installer Files', then 'NVIDIA Driver Update' and finally folder 'Installer Files'. Select the file 'Tome' and click 'Open'.

A window displaying the 6 driver files should appear. Select all the files (Cmd-a) and click on the upper left icon of the window. Choose the destination folder and click 'All' (if you already have made a copy of your former drivers, you can directly select the 'Extensions' folder of your 'System' folder).

That's it.

MM

Originally posted by marcom:

I'm happy to have helped you 'aka_tom_w'.

For the others, here is a more detailed 'how-to' :

When file downloaded from Apple site and mounted (should be done automatically), you find on your desktop a disk image containing the install program provided by Apple. The name of this virtual disk is 'NVIDIA driver Update'. Lauch TomeViewer and select menu 'File/Open...'. With the file chooser, go to the desktop, then disk 'NVIDIA driver Update', then folder 'Installer Files', then 'NVIDIA Driver Update' and finally folder 'Installer Files'. Select the file 'Tome' and click 'Open'.

A window displaying the 6 driver files should appear. Select all the files (Cmd-a) and click on the upper left icon of the window. Choose the destination folder and click 'All' (if you already have made a copy of your former drivers, you can directly select the 'Extensions' folder of your 'System' folder).

That's it.

MM

Thanks thats how I did once I figured it out.

That step by step should help other folks too!

the new driver SURE does clear up those ugly in-game white "ghosting" sparkly texture issues RIGHT AWAY.

I think it is shear lunacy that this work around of yours is the only way to fix the problem, but what the hell....

:eek: it WORKS!

-tom w

[ January 02, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Great catch, many thanks. Although this is not among my problems it is great that you found the solution.

If anyone wants the files, I have extracted them and can email them to you. The files are about 4 megs so it may have to be in multiple mailings.

• 3 weeks later...

Would this be appropriate to solve my display problems (intermittent dithered images and multiple flags all over the place) on a G4 iMac/17"? I've got a nVidia GeForce4 MX graphics card, but my driver seems to be version 3.5, based on Apple System Profiler. Would I be moving backwards to pick up ver. 3.0? Is there a reason 3.0 would work well and not 3.5? Is there an update for 3.5 that I should be looking for?

Lots of questions. Answers to any of them would be appreciated.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Would this be appropriate to solve my display problems (intermittent dithered images and multiple flags all over the place) on a G4 iMac/17"? I've got a nVidia GeForce4 MX graphics card, but my driver seems to be version 3.5, based on Apple System Profiler. Would I be moving backwards to pick up ver. 3.0? Is there a reason 3.0 would work well and not 3.5? Is there an update for 3.5 that I should be looking for?

Lots of questions. Answers to any of them would be appreciated.

"For the others, here is a more detailed 'how-to' :

When file downloaded from Apple site and mounted (should be done

automatically), you find on your desktop a disk image containing the install

program provided by Apple. The name of this virtual disk is 'NVIDIA driver

Update'. Lauch TomeViewer and select menu 'File/Open...'. With the file

chooser, go to the desktop, then disk 'NVIDIA driver Update', then folder

'Installer Files', then 'NVIDIA Driver Update' and finally folder 'Installer

Files'. Select the file 'Tome' and click 'Open'.

A window displaying the 6 driver files should appear. Select all the files

(Cmd-a) and click on the upper left icon of the window. Choose the

destination folder and click 'All' (if you already have made a copy of your

former drivers, you can directly select the 'Extensions' folder of your

'System' folder).

That's it."

I think this will work for you as well smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by chcole:

excellent workaround.

i have a 15" G4 imac that was having the same problem (mostly just the german troops rendered in technicolor). after installing the new drivers everything is fine.

thanks for the info.

[qb]BUT it doesn't work on a G4 iMac-17".[qb] I think the upgrade drivers are actually too old to run on the new iMac-17 inch (they're version 3.0 instead of 3.5). In any case, when I tried this I got the blue screen of death instead of a working computer. Had to do some fancy tricks to bring my iMac back to life. Just thought I'd better warn everybody.

• 2 months later...