FAQ

fil

Tip #1

Play at "Veteran" level to complete the correct game image and to have proper impressions.

Tip #2

Always check the skills of your subordinates (see tip #14 Skills for examples).

Tip #3

Being in defense, try to dislodge the most important soldiers of the enemy,

- commanders, machine gunners, anti-tank riflemen, then the nearest ones to your positions.

Try to destroy as much tanks in defense as possible.

Choose in the interface aimed fire (points on buttons “Attack”) and choose the lower one (shooting the tracks or wheels). But take into account that it is harder to hit in this mode.

Locate your commander closer to your troops, because it influences greatly on morale of other soldiers.

Tip #4

It is better to shoot the infantry with high-explosive shell not pointing direct the unit, but shooting the ground in front of attacking infantry, using command “Area target” and gradually moving the sight, in this way there are more chances to hit several soldiers of the enemy at once.

Tip #5

Mass fire of several units. After hitting a target transfer your fire at another object.

Tip #6

Pliably maneuver the shell types. Beware of enemy’s hitting your armored vehicles with HE shells.

Tip #7

At the first opportunity, capture abandoned vehicles. Even if you miss your target, you will distract enemy’s attention.

Tip #8

Pick up the weapons of the killed valuable units – MGs, AT rifles.

Tip #9

Locate several infantrymen that could replace killed crew members near guns and HMGs.

Tip #10

At the beginning of a mission during the army set-up attend to AT weapons and HMGs, if there are bushes or trees within the limits of the set-up zone – hide AT defense and machine-guns inside safely, it will greatly lower the possibility of detection of your arms and allow to shoot first. In this way the enemy can detect them only because of shot sound or powder smoke.

Tip #11

Before the mission start pay particular attention to the fire area of your weapons, attach camera to a gun (by default – Enter button), in this position the fire area of your weapons and all terrain obstacles that can prevent from direct shooting are visible and you can choose more advantageous position. I.e. this method simulates a life-like situation, without magical “aiming line”.

Tip #12

Try to locate your arms on the backslopes of hills and ravines, so that a part of a weapon is covered by the relief, in this way it is harder to get hit.

Tip #13

If your weapon won’t shoot the enemy tank, you need to check the visibility parameters and whether there is some obstacle that hinders the vision.

There can be a chance of the lacking elevation. Try to shoot the other parts of the target also, turret – if your weapon is lower than the target.

It happens often that crew shoots the target without exact instructions, and this is the center of the aim, and instruction to shoot the turret will force your crew to shoot higher.

Tip #14

Skills

More skilled gunner (more 50%) can define exactly, whether it is possible to aim, and whether it is possible to hit a target, and he acts in concordance with this situation. Unskilled gunner often cannot define his opportunities of accurate aiming and hitting the target. Therefore he shoots worse, expends more ammo. Skilled gunner can fire straight off (more 80%). Only skilled gunner can use weapons of enemy’s tanks (more 90%).

The driver skills influence greatly on the vehicle movement. Unskilled driver (less 50%) uses only 2 gears (skilled uses up to 5), the engine can often fail, rear gear can be unavailable (!), the speed slows down by two times during towing, and he cannot keep shooting on the run. Skilled driver (more 50%) knows how to do everything, also he can capture and drive enemy’s vehicle (more 90%).

In order to shoot on the run a tank crew must be completed with a skilled driver and a gunner.

Firing small-arms weapon also depends on skills. Also health of a soldier influences his hitting accuracy, wounded soldiers shoot much worse.

Sound

Tip #1

Adjust your audio system properly.

If your audio card supports EAX2, you can adjust game sound to maximum settings freely.

If your audio system doesn’t support EAX, then disable it.

If EAX is older then 2.0 version, please experiment with your settings, and choose the proper option.

The game uses 3D sound (map positioning), in other words, if some soldier talks 100 meters away from camera, then he will be less audible then soldier 5 meters away from camera. But explosion of an 88mm shell at the distance of 500 meters will muffle up the speech of the soldier 100 meters away.

Sounds of music, voice messages, speech of the tankmen and others is produced directly into stereo and into the game camera. In addition the tankmen and SPG crew members speak into helmet headphones (a special filter was applied, which makes the effect of speech deafening) therefore it mistakenly seems that the sound has poor quality.

Tip #2

Onboard sound cards – influence greatly the computer performance, therefore if your computer has an onboard sound card, then we recommend disabling EAX in the sound options.

To complete the audio picture we recommend you to use Creative SB Audigy audio card, and pay attention that 3D sound settings must be properly adjusted in OS Windows.

Graphics and performance

Video

For comfort playing you need a video card not older than Gf6800 or Radeon x800.

Processor

The processor influences greatly the common game performance. We recommend to use Intel Pentium IV 3 Ghz, but Intel Pentium Core2 will operate better. There can be problems with AMD processors; partly this problem can be solved by installing special drivers.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpusetup.exe

RAM

For comfort playing we recommend using not less then 1G of RAM.

The damage system is simulated in detail in game. A lot of characteristics

are taken into account and computed in the real-time mode, they are types of ammo, gun caliber, flight speed, hitting angle, armor thickness, blasting, blast wave, shell splinter after blasting, ignition and explosion of ammunition. We tried to make a very realistic damage simulation in Theater of War.

Game uses a free camera, unlike many strategies, camera can be moved to any place on the map, to any height, and at any angle, and herewith units, game objects do not disappear, but permanently exist, for the sake of maximal information.

The visibility model takes into account all objects and units on the battlefield, i.e. the visibility parameters of a particular unit can be influenced by separate trees, bushes, woodlands, soldiers, vehicles etc.

AI system permanently estimates the events on the battlefield both at the high command level and at the level of every single unit, many characteristics are taken into account: morale, danger level, distance up to the enemy, commander location, vehicle, quantity of brothers-in-arms, availability of trenches and covers, fire intensity, general combat task.

All these processes require a powerful processor.

Nice reading tnx but i dont get tip 10

I cant seem to move any soldiers or tanks during setup how can i place them as you said???

or can i but pls tell me how didnt find it in the manual.

arguing on the internet is like winning the paralympics: no matter if you win, you are still a retard

1. Thanks so much for putting you ideas together for us. I wonder if Elmar might do the same??? We need more advice along these lines by people who already know the game inside and out.

2. We also realy really need a separate strategy/tactics forum. Pretty please??? The general forum is getting clogged with whiners, bug finders, and general comments. I like this game, but its exhausting to have to read through all that stuff when all I want are useful tips and discussions on getting the most from the game.

Thanks for the tips,specially for #14.Can I estimate the posibility to hit a target watching the unit tool parameters?Is this displayed in there(%)?.

I found a little unrealistic close combat: infantry against infantry and infantry against AT guns especially.

Originally posted by pwncake:

Nice reading tnx but i dont get tip 10

I cant seem to move any soldiers or tanks during setup how can i place them as you said???

or can i but pls tell me how didnt find it in the manual.

arguing on the internet is like winning the paralympics: no matter if you win, you are still a retard

If I understand what your asking ..you click on and hold with left mouse button and drag to a location.

Regards,

Gunz

fil,

Thank you very much for all the information. I really appreciate it !!

Now I am looking forward to the detailed FAQ on System of the damages and ballistics, and System to visibility and shootings. When are you planning to post it?

Txema

Originally posted by Vergeltung:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by chanss:

Press middle mouse button for "FREELOOK" 3D camera mode!

if your mouse has 2 buttons (left and right) and a wheel in the middle, can you press the wheel to achieve the same thing? thanks in advance. </font>

Hey Fil, what about the problem people are reporting on trees not blocking line of fire. Forces are destroyed by unseen enemies but line of sight is mutual. You should be able to see them too.Is there any way to fix that? If anything, the unit in the trees has the advantage because it's dark in the woods and someone outside of the trees can't see into (or through) as well as those on the inside looking out.

Originally posted by Fetid:

Hey Fil, what about the problem people are reporting on trees not blocking line of fire. Forces are destroyed by unseen enemies but line of sight is mutual. You should be able to see them too.Is there any way to fix that? If anything, the unit in the trees has the advantage because it's dark in the woods and someone outside of the trees can't see into (or through) as well as those on the inside looking out.

Fetid, I assume that is the way it is coded. It is no bug and hopefully will be addressed. tongue.gif

Couple of questions re the first battle in the Allies Campaign.

Are paratroopers any more effective that members of a regular army squad in using captured artillery pieces because of their special training?

I read somewhere on these forums that the medic in the staff squad doesn't do anything medic wise. If he is of no use, is the staff squad, without a bazooka, worth the extra 15 points more than a regular squad or paratroopers? Do they add some command bonus to the larger group?

• 2 weeks later...