Worthless Multiplayer

Mithel

I pre-ordered ToW based on the reputation of the developers (I greatly respect both BattleFront and 1C - the IL2/FB/PF/1946 series has been top quality and well supported with great free enhancements).

Unfortunately my first impression of ToW is disappointing.

The worst problem is that once again (like virtually every other game) the multiplayer mode is essentially just a "quick battle" mode. I was seriously hoping for some decent campaign multiplayer features.

Some day I dream of a company actually releasing a game with immersive strategic multiplayer support. Something where you can dig into a campaign with your friends and play it for months not just hours.

Personally I dont need any MP campaign I just want a good setup for custom armies and lots of maps, and of course something that doesnt drown in connection issues.

But ToW doesnt deliver that at all and I doubt MP will be useful for anything but 1v1. Getting a handful of tanks is not my idea of deep gameplay. The 4v4 I tried to play were down to 2-3 tanks for each player IIRC

CBR

Close Combat 3 almost had a good multiplayer campaign (it had the weakness that if one player started out winning it was pretty much a one side landslide from there on out). But CC4 was a big step backward and I haven't looked at CC since then.

What is disappointing is how long ago CC3 was released and nobody has been able to improve on it? I was expecting ToW to be an improved CC3. But it didn't live up to that hope. I prefer Combat Mission's turn based approach and force purchase system, I wish CM had a decent multiplayer campaign. And now CM seems to be going in the wrong direction by trying to add on a real time system.

Take CC3, add support for multiple multiplayers (2 to 4 players per side), put in a way to "buy" victory points with your winning rather than just gaining a larger and larger material advantage, give the losing side a reinforcement boost now and then and presto you've have what I hoped for in ToW.

Graphics are not very important to me, I'm more than happy with a top down view like Close Combat has. Sure it's nice to have pretty trees swaying and stuff but the "frills" are exactly that, they aren't critical to the game.

if you like tactics and realism then you should look beyond that, believe me you might be missing something

BTW, when CC came out it was pretty high tech

i actually think that the top down view is the best solution for this kind of game.

the game campaign plays on several layers, first you decide what regiments go to wich town(taking in account that some towns have precious ammo and fuel depots), if they meet enemy regiments you will have to fight against them(if the enemy was there before you then he defends and you attack)and only then the actual fight begins on the map.(if nobody wins you go on the next day were you stopped, and this can go on for days) if an enemy cuts the supply line to one of your regiments then that regiment will have fewer and fewer amounts of ammo and fuel) i had one unit cut off from the rest of my battleforce for 4 days. that unit was in constant battle and i held with it for 4 days running out of ammo the 2nd day, i had to disband it.

campaigns like those are really exceptional to live through. when you fight for 4 days (4x20 min)on the same map with no ammo and no fuel, then you end up knowing the soldiers by name. and i felt really bad to disband that unit because it was unable to continue fighting.

seppDieter, very interesting description. I'm assuming what you were describing is Close Combat Cross of Iron?

I'd add that I like Combat Mission also. Both Close Combat 3 and Combat Mission seem superior to ToW to me. Combat Mission's 3D view is nice when you are turn based and have plenty of time to adjust the camera and look from various view points.