Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Kyro II, anyone NOT having problems?

I note with some dismay that some people are having major problems with the kyro II cards and CMBO.I was seriously considering this card for my own PC,but this issue has kind of put me off.Is there anybody out there who uses a KyroII based card (Hercules 4500 was the card i was thinking of getting)who has no problems with CMBO,or who managed to fix the problems?Ive done a search on the forum but it seems to all be from people who are having problems,cheers.

:confused:

I don't currently have access to one of these boards, but I do have one on order.

You've probably seen the threads on the problems and the possible solutions (though they have worked for some, supposedly). There are some new drivers available, but they are beta and require DirectX 8.1 apparently (which is still beta). They can be found in this thread (though you don't have the card yet):

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001848

If the Kyro II users are lucky the beta drivers may fix the problems. More likely however is that the drivers were developed to specifically support some features of DirectX 8.1. Hopefully some version of the drivers can clear up the display problems in CM (possibly at the cost of some performance).

If the issues with the card don't sound like they would be worth waiting on for a fix (and it's debatable if any will be forthcoming to fix these particular problems), you could try an NVidia GeForce2 MX400 based card (32 or 64Mb of RAM, PCI or AGP). The performance is close in many areas to the Kyro II (though the Kyro may beat it in some benchmarks).