Post Your Ratings

stone75

G-18 They're just my system's limits !

S-10 Pretty unimpressive IMHO

U-12 Not bad/usable, though it has some nonstandard conventions (mouse wheel for example)

P-8 Very disapointed. No real terrain effects, funky scouting, unrealistic combat, very low unit density, few tac choices, no map editor..

(Edit - 4 points less, dunno why I gave >10 ...)

O-8 A light B&P game, nice to watch, but sure I'll drop it soon - EDIT : I drop it NOW, can't find any fun at these ridiculous battles.

[ April 22, 2007, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Pascal DI FOLCO ]

G - 17

S - 9

U - 12

P - 16

O - 17

This game has got a good feel to it, although there are things that need sorting out (sounds, interface, multiplayer, pathfinding). This game has grabbed my imagination and I can get round the annoyances, although I do hope there is a TOW2 or a much improved expansion in the future. This has filled a hole which other RTS titles just can't fill for me. Multiplayer lobby required, that is were the real fun can be had!

G 18 This ensures a best seller

S 10 Ok - but nothing more (CM is MUCH better)

U 8 Superficially OK, but actually very poor, especially view system and controls

P 5 Nothing there! Just leave it to play itself

O 3 A major disappointment - I was expecting history and tactics, like CM series and most other Battlefront games.

Still playing CMBB after 5 years - this one will be off my HD before the DVD arrives

G - 17

S - 10

U - 16

P - 5

O - 10

58/100

Very disappointed. This game is sorta like a super-model girlfriend: real purty, but paper thin and no substance or lasting interest. Obvious flaws are simply too distracting.

G - 17

S - 14

U - 18

P - 18

O - 17

I am having fun playing this game. Its not real easy, I have trouble on defense sometimes.

Some really cool battles.

Had one T-34 save my ass in a battle. It took out 10-12 tanks, was taking so much fire all teh crew bailed except for teh hard core gunner, who loaded teh gun, jumped back in the gunners pos, turned teh turret, and blasted a PZIV C to flames just as it was about to break my line!!

Good times :D

Sound could be a bit better.

I am still not able to determine how to make a tank or at gun fire at a specific point, tho.

I cant win teh training defensive battle despite trying a bunch of times.

I have been waiting on this game since it was an alpha. I am not dissappointed. I think with some patches and mods this could be a holy grail for wargamers. It has potential :cool:

Overall, for a paltry $45, BUY IT!

G - 15 (Descent for a realistic strategy game)

S - 15 (See above)

U - 12 (Okay)

P - 12 (It seems that it can't find an identity

between the typical RTS, and a realistic

strategy game, like the CM series)

O - 13 (wish it had some features of the CM

series. Has some realism issues, unit

is poor, IMO. Needs a waypoint system,

or better, smater AI pathfining)

67% Overall. Not especially dissappointed, but it could be (and may get) better.

G - 16

S - 9

U - 12

P - 5

O - 7

49 / 100

Graphics are quite good, best part of the game.

Couldn't give a passing grade for the sounds, too sterile, too subdued, too monotonous.

User interface is always a matter of personal preference and I need to get more used to it, but I do think I'm going to be pausing a lot.

Gameplay is awful. Tanks rule all, the rest is just there to reinforce a case for realism, but it just doesn't work. The representation of cover and concealment is too weak.

Overall the game is as I expected from watching the pre-release videos, so I'm not disappointed. I've basically donated $56 to BFC to keep making WWII based wargames. Now we just have to get the annoyance of CM:SF out of the way and then hopefully they will get back to it.

Edit : 68.4 average so far.

[ April 21, 2007, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Sgt_Kelly ]

G 19

S 16

U 15

P 13

O 16

80/100

Visuals are beautifully crafted(I dont like unit portraits though. They all look in terrible mood :D ).

Sounds...I have mixed feeling about them. The sense of distant gunshots is great, nice footstep sounds on grass/water, vehicles sounds too, ricochets etc. MGs are weak and monotonous, gun sounds too, and I would love more intense and alarming voices from the troops.

User interface is ok. No waypoints though is bad. I like the micromanagement of equipment sometimes. Overall, not bad from guys mainly making hardcore flight sims though.

Gameplay. Infantry is somewhat chaotic and more fragile than I have used too. They dont last for long and they dont seem to know where to take cover to protect themselves. I cant understand LOS/LOF really. Dense trees should be in to make things more clear. Patches needed here to sort things somewhat. I love the ability to take cover behind moving vehicles though.

Overall I like the feeling of the game and the engine seems solid. With little more BFC care it would easily score 10 more points from me.

Multiplayer lobby required, that is were the real fun can be had!
I'm curious to see reports on the multiplay. I quite like the demo, but I'm playing it with frequent use of the pause feature to give orders and it's that that gives the game a tactical feel above the usual RTS clickfest. As that option, presumably, isn't there in MP I have doubts if MP will offer anything like the same gameplay?

Anybody tried MP yet?

Played the tutorials and the one demo mission a few times.

G - 17 (nice tanks, nice animations and less chocolate box scenery please)

S - 15

U - 18 (easy for me with some nice options)

P - 18

O - 18

Total - 86/100

I liked it alot, the action was good, it looked good and I had fun.

Complaints, while the vista was nice it tends to blandness, and the vehicles that drive over everything is a bit much as was the pathfinding in general.

As an old Combat Mission player I didn't see anything in Theater of War that was too far remove from what happens in Combat Mission.

Good Stuff.

G 19

S 08

U 15

P 05

O 11

58/100

I love the graphics and think they are superb, especially the beautiful maps and extremely detailed vehicles and equipment.

Sound is not very good, except for explosions and vehicle noises.

User interface works, and is configurable.

Gameplay in the supplied scenarios is very very poor - BUT part of that is the scripting of the supplied scenarios, which force death-match style 'gamey game' play in a glass sided terrarium. Not a realistic battle simulator in either a tactical or strategic sense. Infantry cannot successfully 'go to ground'. They cannot retire from the area when it is clear that they must, or be wiped out.

They can not enter or defend builldings. They cannot hide.They cannot dig foxholes. They cannot move heavy machine guns. Trees provide no apparent cover. There are not enough small scale elevation changes (unlike the superb 'Combat Mission' simulators) to employ real infantry tactics.

There is no possibility of stalemates and draws, which were common outcomes in many, many battles.

In short - the supplied scenarios aim at folks who enjoy restarting the same battle over and over until they learn by trial and error how to win it but they are not realistic enough to, say, help train a platoon or company commander for real combat.

After looking through the scenario editor, however, I see that more realistic scenario goals can be designed in. Certain types of realistic scenarios can be designed (if they work around the above mentioned tactical shortcomings), with more reasonable success/failure triggers, and I'm going to give it a try before making a final decision about this game.

[ April 22, 2007, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Fencible ]