Isn't it "later" enough?

Vern_S

Originally posted by KeBrAnTo:

Being honest, if I'm ready to pay 45$, I can also pay 55$ for the same product, 10 $ more, 8 € more, what's that, just a shot in a bar ....

Anyway Flintock and other likeminded, you believe for you the advantage is that 10$ discount, not for me and others obviously cause 10$ more is not a problem, I just buy a game a year and I can manage ten dollars more, but the fact we were getting the change of downloading the game before we get it by post and, as promised, before the 19th.

And somehow 1-2 days early isn't before? I keep missing how that logic works. It must be the same logic that turned "a few days" into "a couple weeks".

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being honest, if I'm ready to pay 45$, I can also pay 55$ for the same product, 10 $ more, 8 € more, what's that, just a shot in a bar ....

Just a shot in a bar? That sounds like a valuable commodity to me! Couldn't you have said it's "just a bad lunch?"

Just be glad that you can download it before the release date, even if its only a day or two before, it would be the first pre-order game that Ive ordered that have done this, as normal it just means that you would get the game on release date by pre-ordering.

Originally posted by Kazzel:

Just be glad that you can download it before the release date, even if its only a day or two before, it would be the first pre-order game that Ive ordered that have done this, as normal it just means that you would get the game on release date by pre-ordering.

i have to agree with the others, 24hours is not a "pre-release".

Again a win for HL2/Valve and Steam..

if you remember, with Half life 2.. You could actually "pre-download" the game, even before you bought it.. then on release day you'd only had to download a 30Mb activation when you bought the game. and off you play..

this 24 hour pre-release might feel like a benefit if we where actually pre-downloading the game now..

but i can almost see it now, 18th they open the downloads.. Everyone rushes to downlaod.. Download goes really slow. You get to play the game the afternoon of the 19th.. But yay, i saved 10 dollars that if i would have just waited for the 19th i would have just got the download only version and saved the same 10$..

you can add me to the group that doesn't care about the 10$.. the whole point of the pre-order was getting and playing game early..

with the game being gold, i'm just trying to fathom why they wouldn't just open it up to the pre-orders..

Originally posted by H-street:

but i can almost see it now, 18th they open the downloads.. Everyone rushes to downlaod.. Download goes really slow. You get to play the game the afternoon of the 19th.. But yay, i saved 10 dollars that if i would have just waited for the 19th i would have just got the download only version and saved the same 10$..

You have not finished your second sentence here:

If i would have just waited for the 19th, I would start downloading the game on the 19th for the weekend - now servers are even slower than for the poor fools who did the preorder thing. So with a bit of luck my download of the 2,5gB, the installation and activation is complete by Saturday or Sunday and Monday comes around with work.

See the 10$ as a warranty that you will be able to play on the weekend!!

KeBrAnTo, if you just buy 1 game per 365 days this one or two days where you can not play ToW will most likely not kill you - especially after waiting for ToW for the last 5 years!!!

Uwe

For me the main thing is that we (all who pre-ordered) based the pre-order just on videos, screens, these AAR reports and whatever stuff you can find. This means we belong to the crazy bunch of people who cannot wait to get it and even would pick it up personally at the Battlefront HQ.

Okay, in most times you place your pre-order on pre-release stuff, but am I able to send back the game to Battlefront after I got it, waited for the demo, played the demo and then want to ship my sealed box back to Battlefront?

Probably not, because I got the download, too. Haha, that makes me the stupid pre-orderer.

I appreciate the way Battlefront releases games being their own publisher, but one thing is no secret, these products will never be taken home by the majority of people. Now you could say that we don`t even want to be part of the mainstream with our interest for realistic tactical games. But since we belong to the minority of gamers, and the pre-orderers belong to a minority within this minority, can`t there be a little candy for us, a little surprise? Just a little reward for the trust?

Many here are waiting for the demo to decide, whether they order or not. We didn`t even wait for the demo, we placed our order directly. And sorry to say, but the closer the release of the demo will be to the release date of the game the less serious it looks for me.

I have to admit that I placed my pre-oder because of the "getting it earlier" point. I know it sounds stupid, we waited for almost 4 years and now it depends on days. But this cannot be explained by words. :)

And about the money saving:

Even within the relatively small city I`m living in the prices have a range of about 20$. "Supreme Commander" in the small electronics store at the corner costed 35 Euro (within the first days as a release offer), but in the main department stores in the inner city the normal price was 50 Euro.

So, if you are not at a particular shop at the right time ...there goes your money.

I think many of you reasonable :) guys are right, it`s stupid to negotiate for days and Battlefront does what it can.

But what was hoped by many being "rewarded" for pre-ordering even without a demo, just vanished into thin air.

For me personally it doesn`t matter much. I have enough to do until next Thursday. Although it`s hard to be kicked into reality again, after a nice day-dream...

For me as a guy from Europe the preorder deal is not so good. First i have to pay 11,- Bucks for shipping and if i´m "lucky" i have to pay for costums (around 20% of of price and shipping ca. 8,-€) that's a total of 49,- € for me or 66,- Dollars. Just for getting it one day early not such a good deal! If i had known this i would´t have preordered just waited a day longer and purchased the download version!

By the way i just download the last movie with incredible 30k if the download of the full version has the same performance we are lucky if we play at the 22nd!

As other mates said before:

Never again, for a 24 hours lead it's not worthy, is as simple as that... and that "lead" was the whole point to preorder the product ...

Regards,

No, it was not. In fact I pre-ordered to save 10$. The 24 hours lead makes it only better.

Filippo

BadKarma is absolutely right...

I paid the same 56$ to preorder, shipping to Europe is gonna last at least 2 weeks since the 19th.

If they open up the preorder download for the 18th, and for the rest on the 19th, do you really think 1 day is gonna be enough for all the people who has preordered the game to download it?.

Download servers will be overloaded as soon as preorder download is available, and things will go worse probably when it is open for the rest of the people so I think most of those who think they'll be playing the 22nd or the 23rd will be probably dissapointed when they realize it's the 26th and the download is still on,because everyone is downloading at the same time and that without counting it might fail, and if it does, he he he, you better wait another 10 days or so to get the game by post....

As Moon said, they're not Sony, but I certainly think there are better ways or moods to do this kind of things and as DeLaVega said, they could be a little bit more "sweet" with those who have been loyal customers by waiting and preordering the product, that's the least they can do I think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never again, for a 24 hours lead it's not worthy, is as simple as that... and that "lead" was the whole point to preorder the product ...

Regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it was not. In fact I pre-ordered to save 10$. The 24 hours lead makes it only better.

Filippo

It was not FOR YOU !!!, please let other people to think a different way. Thank you :D

[ April 15, 2007, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: KeBrAnTo ]

Originally posted by BadKarma:

For me as a guy from Europe the preorder deal is not so good. First i have to pay 11,- Bucks for shipping and if i´m "lucky" i have to pay for costums (around 20% of of price and shipping ca. 8,-€) that's a total of 49,- € for me or 66,- Dollars. Just for getting it one day early not such a good deal! If i had known this i would´t have preordered just waited a day longer and purchased the download version!

By the way i just download the last movie with incredible 30k if the download of the full version has the same performance we are lucky if we play at the 22nd!

BadKarma, we're shipping out of Ireland to our European customers (out of Vermont for everyone else), i.e. within the EU, therefore there is no duty/customs fee.

Martin

Ok, let's put this Pre-Order buisness in perspective.

Pre-Orders give the Publisher a good idea of how many "Units" to manufacture. On all the big games sold by stores like EB Games or Gamestop they will offer Pre-Orders to see how many units they need to order and the Publisher in turn gets all of these Pre-Orders in and then they know what number of Units are needed for the initial pressing.

It's all about statistics.

A(# of Pre-Orders)times B(A Statistical %)= C(# of Units to Manufacture)

Same could be said for determining Bandwidth needs for download version.

If you Pre-Order from a store like EB Games you get some kind of "small" incentive such as a few extra maps or a special item, and sometimes it's a few bucks off the retail price. You also get your game immediately upon release by either picking it up as soon the store calls you and says come and get it, or it gets shipped to you the same time it gets shipped to the store.

Nobody in the mainstream lets you have the game days and defiantly not weeks prior to release. Nothing hurts more then to have your game on the Pirate sites before you even get it out to retail.

The fact that we get both the download version and the physical copy for the download price (plus shipping) and that we get a 24hr leap on the mainstream is more then enough incentive for me to help Battlefront with their statistical calculations.

I started this thread so that Battlefront would give a definitive time/date and bring a halt to the "Begging for a download" posts. Now that we have an answer, let's wait patiently and soon we will have what we want.

Enough said. Admin Please lock this thread...

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BadKarma:

BadKarma, we're shipping out of Ireland to our European customers (out of Vermont for everyone else), i.e. within the EU, therefore there is no duty/customs fee.

Martin </font>

To me, personally, waiting a few more days is not a big a deal. I am not upset about it. However, I do feel that it would have been in better taste if, from the beginning, BFC had CLEARLY stated how much earlier pre-order customers would get to download it.

Let's face it. Early download was a MAJOR selling point of the pre-order offer, and for many, it was of equal or greater importance than the discount. I think we all understood that there were no guarantees, but by remaining deliberately vague on this point until most of the preorders were in, BFC left lots of room for people to build up false hopes, and end up feeling disappointed. That's not good for anyone.

All this could have been avoided if they had stated on the preorder page of the website, that the early download would be available no more than 1-2 days in advance. Then there would have been no room for questions. It might have cost BFC a handfull of preorders, but everyone would have known exactly what they were getting in exchange for paying early.

Moon iam puzzeled? Earlier you or matt stated (it will not be weeks more like days) and now you say 1 day???

K iam not regretting it will be one day but cant you do the next "pre-order" with a statement this option will only give you 10$ refine and you can download it on release day that way it will be less confusing.

Let's face it, the timetable and way of distribution won't be changed and I haven't seen any convincing reasons here why they should be even though I'd like to have TOW as early as possible as well. I'll wait to see how adequate the download servers will be before whining.

Pannekoek, I said that it was a day earlier for the last launch. I didn't say that it will be one day this time. Some people seemed to think that it would be weeks earlier though, which is where that other statement comes from.

Avwriter, I guess the thought that people would expect the download to be weeks earlier than the release date never crossed our minds. We said that it would be available earlier than April 19, and I'm sure we'll be more clear next time.

Of course considering how many pre-orders there are vs. how many people are posting here, it seems to me that most people either understood the announcement better or are more patient than you guys smile.gif Either way, the waiting is soon over. Relax. :cool:

Martin

Originally posted by [X] Charlie:

I just can't wait for the demo. Almost as nerve wracking as the release =D

The great videos, especially the last one; Sound and Fury, only serve to ratchet the anticipation up another notch. Definitely looks like Battlefront have a winner on their hands, and good for them!

Regards,

Filippo

It was not FOR YOU !!!, please let other people to think a different way. Thank you :D [/QB]

Valgua wrote:

Sure, but don't make statements that seem objective when in fact they are not. You said that the pre-release was the only point in pre-ordering. That's simply not true: you save 10$ as well. If the so called "lead" was the only reason you preordered and you were not interested in the boxed version + dl then it's you own business. Certainly it was not a good deal but you have yourself to blame.
I think all my statements were made from my personal thought how was the deal working for me and what where the main advantages to preorder for me, just for me.

Anyway, the whole point FOR ME is, yes I'm interested in the boxed version, I paid for it, and that's why I thought the best deal FOR ME was the chance of getting it before this boxed version arrives at home by post, but now, I'm not that sure I'll have it downloaded before the game arrives by post, that's all.

It will depend on how servers work and how overloaded they are when all the people is trying to download a 2 Gig file at the same time, and that counting it won't fail cause if it does I would like know where the good deal FOR ME is cause as far as I know the download link only works once.

Anyway, there's no point to keep discussing about this because we will know soon what happens and time will say who was speaking the truth, and If I'm wrong I don't have any problem posting it here. Honestly, I really hope I can prove me wrong.

Regards,

[ April 15, 2007, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: KeBrAnTo ]

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BadKarma:

Martin </font>