Has anyone tryed the Arma armed assault demo

FaxisAxis

I downloaded it and installed it today and I've got to say despite all the whining going on in the forums it does seem quite good. I used to like operation flash point some are saying this isn't as good. I disagree, I think they are all just waxing nostalgic-and I also noticed when one whines about something in these forums they all have to chim in for some reason.

But it is very much the same OFP with even better graphics and four times the map area.

For some strange reason TOW reminds me of the old days when I played OFP. It even looks alittle like an over the top operation flash point with a whole company rather than just a platoon.

They both have that tense raw millitary sim look.

yeah, I know they are two entirely different games and different wars, but nonetheless they're not your typical commercial hollywood action war games I see all the time like company of heros and call of duty where you are running all over the place with dispensible lives frantically.

Hmmm, I thought ArmA would end up being another lame shooter like BF2 or COD, they are all exactly the same anymore, just a different year... Games like OFP gave it a interesting style, a realism, a sim. To know that you and maybe 2-3 guys can't take on an armour division, that has infantry support and such. I might have to look into it further. I might even buy OFP, I borrowed it for PC, and rented it for Xbox. It was very fun and its campaign kept me going late into the night... Maybe tis game will too....

I downloaded the demo, played it for 30 minutes and remembered how much i hated OFP for much the same reasons I didn't like ArmA. Interestingly I loved CoD, MOHAA and liked BF2 to a point, although I prefer ww2 themes, so it seems what I look for and KnowOne looks for are totally different smile.gif

I like run and gun not crawl or fall. BF2 graphics are superior, but thats probably to do with the amount of developers and money used in comparison. So basically, the game seems not bad, but not my preferred game type.

Not wanting to drift too far off topic FaxisAxis, but have you seen the Crysis game;

http://us.download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/nzm_crysis_dx10_trailer.wmv

This to me looks worth buying.

Yes I played the demo and was impressed enough to buy the full retail UK version of the game, as I posted in a thread yesterday in this forum.

I like it because unlike games such as Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, you can't jump up and down and strafe from side to side like a madman to avoid incoming fire and at the same time gun down your opponent with 3 accurate headshots. If you remain standing in this game and not in cover, you will die, as you probably would in real life.

The enemy AI can be quite intelligent (not all the time though) and attempts to flank you and most of the time uses cover quite well. True, the graphics aren't up to BF2 or CoD2, both of which I have owned and played, but the gameplay more than makes up for that. Also there is a briliant modding community out there making new maps, missions, addons and Total Conversion mods.

I like it. smile.gif

(kind of OT for this forum, but seeing it hasn't been moved (yet) I will chime in)

I have downloaded and installed this. Unless I am mistaken you can only ply the demo in multiplayer. But when I log on to a server (a local one with a decent ping), the game just feels all buggy and laggy and wierd so I am not too impressed so far. I have NOT been able to play one decent normal game and end up just loggin off. It is either all laggy or choopy and I just give up because it isn't fun. Having played OFP this game just "feels" like the same game with better graphics (that is wahat it bascially is anyways). It is always hard to try and judge what the enemy (and friendly) AI can see. For example you may be in what you think is long grass or in brush but it is hard to judge how much concealment you really have. I mean if you physically took the scenery as verbatim, and put yourself in the enemy AIs shoes and looked at where you are in the grass or behind a bush, you would stand out very well but in the game the AI doesn't see you (unless you start shooting).

Bull

athkatla, I'm with you. I hate the jumping up and down and taking all kinds of shots like the were bee stings. Plus your rifle has weight and is heavier at one end than the other and so its going to move differently its to just a floating digital curser and you want be guning and jumping in ever which direction fatiguelessly. Also I love the fact that you can give all these commands and the map is endless, not to mention all the hilly terrain.

There is a certain tension where you have to value ever move in these games which I love.

Slapaho, crysis not at all a tactical sim in the

way that either TOW or ARMA are but nonetheless I am looking forward to this game myself very much so it is going to be one of the my most anticipated games-it looks incredible(what's wrong with good grahpics?). far cry no mater how unrealistic was one of my favorites.

As for COD and medal of honor

those run and gun world war II drama adventure games. No they're not for me. Though I do like brother in arms a much more tactical game.

LTBull, admit it its too hard for you and maybe you system is a little old. don't worry alot of people get frustrated with these game the require a lot of patients they are expecting call of dog duty or something like that. Anyway you can say that about any first person shooter, where the AI doesn't really have to see you and it s hard to tell if he is, you could even say that about most 3d person stategy games. thing is you just have to take good cover and shoot at the right time.

Lt Bull: You can play the demo as single player by opting for the Coop mode. All you do is click on the AI button next to your name and it will change to user, leave the others alone and they will be your AI team. Now play the game just as a single player map.

Also you can adjust the enemy AI skill so they don't headshoot you every time you take a shot at them, it's in the Difficulty option, just use the Custom option to set the AI difficulty level.

Originally posted by athkatla:

Lt Bull: You can play the demo as single player by opting for the Coop mode. All you do is click on the AI button next to your name and it will change to user, leave the others alone and they will be your AI team. Now play the game just as a single player map.

Where is this "AI button"? :confused:

Tried the demo. I think I'm too used to console shooters now. It just all seems overly complicated to me for an FPS and I never have a clue what's going on. OTOH I'm getting tired of the COD formula as well. I played COD2 and 3 on the 360 and I just find the gameplay is getting a bit silly. R6: Vegas and GRAW are much more satisfying to me.

Yeah, Graw and rambow 6 are pretty good tactical shooters too they give you the same feeling of tension and are somewhat realistic, but not as deep tactically or difficult as this ARMA Armed assault. GRAW and R6 are more more gamey, commercial tactical shooters.

Yeah, if you lockout other players -little paddle lock on the bottom when you create your own game and unlock AI for multiplay coop it is just you and your squad. Also I hear this game is very modible and has almost the same editor as OFP.

And you can create your own missions on the fly.

AA, just like OFP was, is a much slower paced sim-like game than compared to your brain dead run & gun games. So if you didn't like OFP, then you certainly won't like AA. It takes more time to get into or used to the controls and the overall feel for the game. That alone will make many shrug their shoulders and turn away from it, their loss IMO. It's the kind of game that will grow on you like a fungus. The map/scenario editor and size of the island is like the worlds largest virtual sandbox. And with the tons of user-made scenarios and mods that are already out, it's not the beat & forget type of game.

The full UK 1.04 version is much better than the demo. So don't judge this game on the demo, at least not the current version. Their suppose to release an updated demo sometime soon.

I bought my copy from GoGamer.com. So for anybody interested, check it out, good price for an import and fast shipping.

[ADMIN: Commercial link edited]

[ February 21, 2007, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

Originally posted by patboy:

Downloaded, Installed, tried & deleted !

I had no idea what kind a **** was about to go down, now I know!

Very awfull game.

Pat

I don't think it's fair to call it an awful game just because you don't like it, or because it's too hard for you to grasp.

It's NOT BF2, or CoD or RTCW: ET, those are arcady games, this game has real depth and a tactical approach is required if you want to get anywhere. Run and gun doesn't work in this game like it does in the others I mentioned.

Yeah, Pattiboy, if you want flashy action games that are on the best seller list with all kinds of unrealistic sensational crap and simple run and gun rambo hericism, with shallow menus and easy to us controls that hold you by the hand, then, I don't know what you are doing here in a forum for realistic wargames. I suggest you stick to call of duty 1, 2, 3... medal of honor or some dumb down arcade twitch game like gears of war where you are simply handed a roll where a story plays out and you are the inevible wining hero against all odds with out having to really work strategically for it.

Like he said just because you don't understand it and can't handle it don't say its no good.

people like you don't have the patients for games like this and should give them more than a few minutes or half hour and just admit they don't have the patient for this sort game.

Originally posted by FaxisAxis:

Yeah, Pattiboy, if you want flashy action games that are on the best seller list with all kinds of unrealistic sensational crap and simple run and gun rambo hericism, with shallow menus and easy to us controls that hold you by the hand, then, I don't know what you are doing here in a forum for realistic wargames.

The realism should be in the gameplay itself (i.e. the physics and modelling), not how annoyingly complicated the controls and menus are.

AA reminds me of the discussions over the last iterations of the freeware RO, in terms of suppressive fire and accuracy. It doesn't seem to have learnt those lessons.

And as far as overall realism is concerned, when the defender abandons his positions and runs into the open, against a prone attacker, the result should not be parity in losses.

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

The realism should be in the gameplay itself (i.e. the physics and modelling), not how annoyingly complicated the controls and menus are.

Bah, it's not that bad. Yeah, giving your squad commands through the menu is a bit cumbersome, I'll give you that. It could definitely be tweaked/simplified. But just like everything else in life, the more you do it, the quicker and easier it becomes. This is not a big hurdle.

Few tips for controls, use the side mouse button for the enter key and the middle mouse button for changing views(1st/3rd person). Also, I've seen people play the game and not even realize that there are 2 levels of zoom for most guns. Right click once to bring your sights up, and then after that, right click and hold. Much more precise and accurate shots that way.

As far as flying the jets and choppers, unless you got a joystick, your gonna suck. Simple as that.

AA reminds me of the discussions over the last iterations of the freeware RO, in terms of suppressive fire and accuracy. It doesn't seem to have learnt those lessons.

And as far as overall realism is concerned, when the defender abandons his positions and runs into the open, against a prone attacker, the result should not be parity in losses.

The game is does not stress suppression as some games tend to. Which is fine and to some degree realistic but another type of game.

CMBB I think is alittle to obsessed with surpression and moral as does brothers in arms.

When you are lying down you may find it harder to hold the gun steady especially if the gun is extended away from you body. Yes running out into the open is a no no. If you witnessed this in AA, it will be fixed soon enough with a patch or a mod. Other than something like this the AI is pretty dam good contrary to what others may falsely claim. I claim they just suck and the AI is handing them their butts time and time again and naturally they don't like that. The AI doesn't fool around they just take you out; they are very aggressive and I've had them sent support and flank me many times. If you fire a shot they don't pretend to not know you are there for a while, no in fact they don't waste any time reponding to you.