Tank Riders?

Commissar

To my knowledge it will not be in the Battlefront edition of ToW.

The statement of Battlefront was that it was used to get close to the battlefield - as Knowsknone pointed out to prevent troops from getting fatigued. But with ToW shwoing only the "actual" battle it is not in its scope.

My guess is that the animations would be a coding nightmare. You have to find positions for e.g. 1-6 soldiers riding on 40 different tanks. That makes already 240 combinations for an animation of the soldiers on the tank. Not taking into account all the animations of these 240 combinations of soldiers jumping off the tanks or getting on the tanks. Animations for taking cover on the tank and watching out not calculated - or maybe firing from the tank. The soldiers would have to react to the tank turning its turret or to driving through ditches and bumps.

When you think of all the time necessary to do that coding.... I guess it is worth having soldiers riding on tanks not in the game. But these are just my 2 cents and -hopefully- Battlefront will prove me wrong.

Uwe

That may be true for other armies, but the Soviets used tank riders in a more aggressive role. It wasn't just to avoid fatigue. They acted as extra pair of eyes for the tanks and pointed out targets and also gave direct, instant infantry support for those tanks. Of course, it was very risky and dangerous to use a leg unit in this way as they were very vulnerable to MG and mortar fire. The life span of a typical tank rider wasn't all that long.

It's not necessarily a big deal, but if that statement was actually made it's inconsistent. "Out of scope" for ToW, but in scope for CM? They're both tactical level games dealing with squads/individual units. CM allows us to have leg units like SMG squads board and ride tanks and when used right, are utterly devastating to an surprised or worn out enemy. Oh well, just another reason CM > ToW.

Personally, in this realism game, it should be there, but the it shouldn't because just like Reichenberg said, they wouldn't last long, a single 81mm mortar shell would kill all 1-6 soldiers on the tank... Even a MG ambush, one mg42 or .30 cal would slaughter them before they could even reach for the trigger of their rifle, let alone hop off.. From the looks of the screenshots the infantry will be doing a lot of stop and go... Run 30 yards to the log, stop, sit 3-5 minutes while engaged... Rinse and repeat... It would be some serious coding that would need to be done... Maybe later in a patch or someone will mod it that way... Who knows, they might prove us wrong...

Maps in ToW are actually smaller than in CM? Funny, the screenshots don't really make the actual battlefield seem smaller. Quite the contrary. As long as the AI is decent, I can live without tank-riding. Still want the option, but I'll live without it.

I personally use tank-riders a lot in CM especially when I play the Soviets. The trick is to use them only under certain conditions and to use the terrain as much as possible to avoid mortar and MG fire or at least minimize it. Sure, if you throw them in a direct attack in which the enemy expects them, they will likely get massacred. But if you use them as a surprise hammer blow against an enemy's weakpoint, especially where they don't expect it or are not ready for it, then they are extremely effective in decimating the enemy. It's a rather nasty surprise when from out of nowhere you got a squad of fresh SMG units drop on top of you or outflank you and they are backed up by platoon of armor.

It'll be too bad if I can't employ those tactics in ToW.

[ February 18, 2007, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

or someone will mod it that way
the only thing which is "easy" to mod are scenarios, with their .xml files, descriptions and overviewmaps.

Anything else is not possible or hard to mod. It seems that they've put together all important game files into SFS - Files (Maps.sfs, sounds.sfs, models.sfs).

Ever tried to open sfs files? ;) Maybe they don't even want us to open them. I think there are possibilities to open these files (as long as they are not password protected - then good night) but I don't have the required software (delphi+plugin) at the moment.

For sure it is not "Oh I open the Pz IV h file and edit some gun data" or to add new skins, models or features.

Kind of sad and strange :( :confused: When you look at games these days, most times mods are the only long play motivation or the motivation to buy a game at all.