Cavalry in WWII

track

I just finished reading some German battle reports. They seem to confirm that cavalry was used in attacks by the Russians as late as 1943 and 1944.

One action for example took place in january 1943 in Kuma near the village of Letrovsk. There were some 150-200 cavalrymen. They attacked about 50 German panzer grenadiers and engineers. Russians charged at full gallop firing with submachineguns and tossing grenades+demo charges. The attack came in three waves and almost succeeded in overrunning the defenders.

I remember being lynched about even briging up these things during the testing and developement of CMBB. (I was using nick "Törni" back then).

One thing that seems to be constantly forgotten in WWII games is the fact that even modern German army relied heavily on horses during WWII. Smaller nations and Russia could not have mobilised their forces if there were no horses. Most men of the time could handle a horse, but there were many in rural areas who had barely caught a glimpse of a car.

Many nations were still relying heavily on farming as the main source of income in 30's and 40's.

I'm not suggesting that cavalry was anything, but a dimishing service branch (before it was given apc's, helicopters etc.) But it saw some heavy combat action in the eastern front.

Originally posted by theBrit:

If you add horses, then some may argue for bicycles too!!! ;)

(though I agree, horses played a major part in logistics during WW2)

I agree as well horses played a major part in logistics during WW2.And if im not mistaken the finish army used horses as well during the winter war and the continuation war.And lot of them been killed as resolved of that.Also i have to say that the finish army used the horses only in the logistics not in cavalry attacks.On this note im wondering why is finland not involved in this game ?

In WW2 cavalry were still widely used, but it does not mean that it was used in mounted charge role. Cavalry was a cheap analog to motorized infantry (esp in USSR, where automobiles were been much more difficult to produce in large quantities than tanks), horses being only a transport. During battle horses were kept out of the way, in the rear. Mounted attacks were very rare in German or Soviet cavalry.