Aircraft

JohnO

First congratulations BFC. Looking forward to getting ToW.

Is the use of aircraft alot better then it was in any of the CM games? ie select targets, strafe runs.

Looking at the fifth screenshot under the Game Features my jaw drop to the floor.

John Osborne

Wait until you see enemy fighters engage your bombers and shoot them down.

dogfight.jpg

With regard to air assets you can choose from bombers and strike aircraft. It works very much like it worked in Close Combat from what I recall, in that a fire mission might become available at some point as shown by an icon in the corner of the screen, and you are able to choose a target for a given mission. The rest is done by the AI.

As such, the use of air assets is abstracted and does not follow WW2 CAS procedures, but the results are displayed in all stunning detail. And "feel" realistic, in that air (and artillery) are not überpowered (no mass destruction on impact - individual shells are simulated realistically including shrapnel etc.) and therefore have to be used wisely. There is also a decent time delay betwen your air or arty call and the delivery, but no ability to set duration, pattern or the like. Which doesn't mean that it's always the same - these things are pre-set by the scenario designer (and perhaps can be modded) for each scenario, and sometimes you get a small battery, sometimes a big multiple strike.

Martin

Not to change the topic, but I also noticed in one of the Theatre of War website. There was a screenshot with a gunboat in it. Will there be boats, landing crafts or other things that float in the Theatre of War>

john Osborne