Always close combat ?

von Paulus

Well, at first I'd like to congratulate BFC for showing us what seems to be an excellent WWII game.

Screenshots are interesting, for sure ... maps are large ... and even huge. That's great :cool:

But one of my main concerns is the distances at which vehicles and men engage the fight. It's always close range fighting ! (I mean always near 100/150meters)

Moreover, penetration values decrease excessively as the distance reaches 300m or so (and is surprisingly powerful at 100m of less). Of course, I compared with CMBB smile.gif

Did you BFC guys ever wanted to make something irrealistic ? :D

****, I'd like to pin up inf squads in the open ground at 600 meters or destroy T-34 platoons at more than 1000 meters with Panthers ! (which still remains usual in lots of CMBB scenarios.) but ...oops ... penetration values are limited to 500m :eek: )

Does this mean that this is a voluntary modification in order to limit the distances of fighting ?

Well, even so, it is still a beta version ... let's hope things will be greatly enhanced ;)

Oh btw, too much tanks in your game ... smile.gif well as an infantryman I deplore the fact that in a RTS game there will be no unit of the size of an Inf Coy or even Inf Batallion to engage in the fight ... :(

Looks cool, but maybe too tiny (in screenshots) to simulate breathtaking battles lasting tens of minutes ...

I hope I'm wrong at all those things ...

Regards,

Paulus

The amount of tanks shown is, as Matt said elsewhere, mainly his personal fondness of them smile.gif You can have decent sized infantry vs infantry engagements if you like.

Penetration ranges are given out to 500 meters because this is the main engagement range you'll find on the maps. There is no artificial cutoff though, rather the maps are cleverly designed.

Granted, for long range (1000 m and up) gun duels you will have to stick to CM, but the engagement ranges in the game in no way feel limited or unrealistic. And are certainly FAR longer than in other RTS games out there. Some of the screenshots I think show this. The playable area on maps is usually 4 sqkm.

Hmm... hard to explain without seeing it in play, I know.

Martin

Okay. No prejudice or bias before something playable is released ... smile.gif

For sure, no RTS game can handle large numbers of men but I assume it's not the purpose of Theatre of war.

I dare to say that I was at first expecting another CM game but it is definitely not the case, as it clearly different from the CM license. Thus, I have different expectations for this game (no Inf Coys engaged in battles but an excellent visual rendering, and of course last but not least early WWII ! :cool: )

Whatever happens, I'm confident in the BFC to create something interesting.

Looks cool.

I have a last question : When contact with the enemy is clear, how long firefights use to last ? :confused:

Paulus

Well, no link with this nickname, but I'm looking forward to Stalingrad or Kharkov battles, if the game supports this kind of maps. smile.gif

Originally posted by von Paulus:

Okay. No prejudice or bias before something playable is released ... smile.gif

For sure, no RTS game can handle large numbers of men but I assume it's not the purpose of Theatre of war.

I dare to say that I was at first expecting another CM game but it is definitely not the case, as it clearly different from the CM license. Thus, I have different expectations for this game (no Inf Coys engaged in battles but an excellent visual rendering, and of course last but not least early WWII ! :cool: )

Whatever happens, I'm confident in the BFC to create something interesting.

Looks cool.

I have a last question : When contact with the enemy is clear, how long firefights use to last ? :confused:

Paulus

Well, no link with this nickname, but I'm looking forward to Stalingrad or Kharkov battles, if the game supports this kind of maps. smile.gif

Firefight length depends on crew experience, moral, weapons, etc. If an elite infantry squad jumps on a green squad from an ambush - seconds.

Two veteran squads entrenched will spend minutes before any serious results will occur.