roads question

I´m finally getting round to trying to understand how to make DT scenarios.

I´ve managed to make height maps with terragen and sculpted them to make them look more or less want i want them to look like. What I don´t get is how to make even surfaces, i.e roads. Is there a way of doing this without fancy software?.

These are my two ideas for a scenario:

"Space Invaders"

A small map with three large structures in the south (either forts as in ice map ot large flattened hills). These structures would be the objectives. The defender would only have a few heavy units, no dropships, but a reinforcement area in one of the southern corners. The rest of the map would be covered with lots of little hills, giving the attacker some cover, requiring him to dart from hill to hill. the attacker would have a reinforcement zone across the north rim of the map. I´m not sure if I want to limit the attacker in any way, maybe no dropships too.

a variant of the CM classic "chance encounter"

again a small map, 2 large hills in the north and south with three captureable buildings roughly in the midlle, one side would have a few thors, let´s say 5)plus paladins and cutters, the other side many (15) apollos, no thors , with paladins and cutters.

My principle goal is to make maps that require survival skills, because of the limited available vehicles.

I like the name 'Space Invaders'... smile.gif

If you make the southern obstacles hills and give the attacker lots of Hurricanes you would be closer to the original. ;)

You could also put some decent AA in the south to prevent the attacker from dropping there.

A problem with limited resources scenarios is that the bots will spend those quite happily and fast. That makes such scenarios something for bot wranglers or all human teams.

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815[jby]:

I´m finally getting round to trying to understand how to make DT scenarios.

I´ve managed to make height maps with terragen and sculpted them to make them look more or less want i want them to look like. What I don´t get is how to make even surfaces, i.e roads. Is there a way of doing this without fancy software?.

It depends what you mean by fancy...

Have you tried the software I wrote to create roads for DropTeam? The tutorial is at DropTeam WIki - making roads and the source code is over at Flow motion source code.

I can provide 32 and 64 bit binaries for Linux easily. Windows would be easy enough for someone proficient with a compiler - the sources should be fairly trivially portable.

Cheers,

Toby Haynes

P.S. I am slowly regaining some free time now my son is a little older :)