evolving CZ

poesel

CZ is IMHO now beyond the point of being very useful besides being a showcase for units. Thats not bad but wheres the fun when you can't play a mod?

Its time to decimate the ranks and give the whole a better purpose.

I'd like to make two or three scenarios where the teams have an asymmetric inventory which includes old and new units. That should create some interesting new gameplay where the proper use of units becomes more important. Neither side will have the full catalogue of vehicles.

What I would to ask you now is for scenario ideas. Preferably using an existing scenario and some proposal which side gets which vehicles. We could also use different bot numbers for each side but that sets the numbers AFAIK for all scenarios on that server. Still possible.

I haven't done any new buildings yet but that shouldn't be too hard.

You might consider having creating various mods for experiment. Then you could have mod-of-the-week on Creature Zoo and we can comment on each variant.

For example:

David vs Goliath mod

Blood has Thors and a few Apollos, Water has an even balance of Paladins and Apollos

Light entertainment mod:

Flying vehicles, paladins, shrikes and infantry

Death from above mod:

No Thors at all. Fit out both sides with more Mortar units, flying units and maybe extra EWV.

• 4 weeks later...

Heres my idea: the base map would be Archipelegao objective with a slightly raised water level (for hovers, see below).

Defender:

SW base with cobra AA tower. Additionally a laser AA tower on the center island

- no drop ships

- Thor KC-H

- Apollo KC-H

- Paladin KC-L

- Shrikes

- regular infantry

- Dragonflies

Attacker:

Enters through northern island, no structures

- few drop ships

- all hovers: Hurricane (mortar, transport, KC-H) and both Ariels

- lots of infantry

- all Cobras (gunship, bomber & transport)

- Apollo KC-H, M4

- Paladin KC-L

Note the absence of mortars, mercuries, ions and mobile AA.

The defender is outnumbered but has the advantage of AA cover (base and central) and heavy vehicles.

The attacker has lots and fast vehicles.

The goal is to take/hold the SW base.

Possible defender tactics: gain air superiority by lingering in own AA cover and shoot down enemy gunships. Defend the central island as long as possible. Erect and maintain a working coastal defense line against landing actions.

Possible attacker tactics: fast take over of the central island (or ignore it altogether!). Take out the dragonflies and shrikes for air superiority. Take out heavy vehicles with infantry action.

Does that sound interesting and worth making?

Sounds cool Poesel. At this point I'm willing to try anything that might foster some new tactics. Maybe we'll even finally get to see some use of hovers to transport infantry to the front line. If only the bots weren't so useless with infantry it would be worthwhile to load them up and drop them right on the coastline.

Oh yeah...looks like Phonan and I might actually be playing Sunday night, well after the usual match time - which I hope to still make anyway. So, if you could hold off on changing the set-up that would be cool. Maybe we could try-out the new format next Sunday, if possible. That would give us a week to to drum-up some interest.

How about bunkers? Thats surely something the defender wants. Maybe not as deployable - you can't set the orientation anyway.

What program do you use for 3D modelling? The current blender version can't im- or export .cob (it could in the past strangely) so I can't help with the dragonfly. If you provide an UV map I could at least put a basic camo on it.

I have some time the next days and as soon as I have something I'll send it to you.

Poesel71 - upgrade to blender 2.45. 2.44 had tons of plugins missing, including the .cob import/export scripts.

I've used Blender for all my models. If I can sort them all out, I might release a tarball of the blend files so that other people can have a hack at them. I still have that incomplete Icarus gunship to reveal, amongst other files.

I will reappear on the forums a little more in the coming weeks - we've survived the first few days and things are settling down. I may do a bit more modding work though - it's easier to leave Blender in a hurry if I hear crying than it is to go afk in the middle of a Dropteam assault.

That does mean you might see the Crystal landscape level before Christmas :)

The Thor T KC-L is done. it is just a thor chassis with a modded cutter plow on it. Also the ATGM squad launchers. And if you get really bored smile.gif the sniper rifle and RTO radio pack could use some dressing up. Well you asked smile.gif

Bunkers,huh? I haven't done a bulding yet. Maybe just use barracks bulding as starting point. Put those down on the map where you want them then switch out the models later?

Marco, I've done a 90mm barrel which is textured but could use the hand of an artist. Same goes for the turret of the RA-M (Nebelwerfer).

All files can be found here:

http://dropteam.johalla.de/download/90mm/ and

http://dropteam.johalla.de/download/RA-M/

XCF is the Gimps native file format. All images are nicely layered. smile.gif

I also do wish that the 90mm barrel would make it in the official DT so that you could discern the 90 from the 76mm visually.

Sniper rifle model needs work - lots of the faces are transparent. (This was an ongoing problem during texturing the game too. :eek: )

sniper1.jpg

For the Thor T KC-L and the ATGM I'll need somebody to give me the wireframe-unwrapped-pngs.

(Don't have the time to spend on that, sorry.)

The backpack seems to have a lot of edge gaps, but otherwise looks simple enough.

90mm & Nebelwerfer - looked at those and shouldn't be a problem.

Pending a revised sniper rifle and unwrappings, I'll work on backpack, 90mm and Nebelwerfer then.

The dragonfly is a very impressive model. Would quite like to give that a texture once it is finalised. The main problem with that one is the ATGM turrets which aren't actually connected to anything...

Not trying to be negative at all, guys, ok? It's just that I see all these things immediately when I'm texturing. Just the way I am, I guess. Ask Clay... I'm sure it drove him nuts ;)

Originally posted by Marco Bergman:

Sniper rifle model needs work - lots of the faces are transparent. (This was an ongoing problem during texturing the game too. :eek: )

I'll see what I can do.

For the Thor T KC-L and the ATGM I'll need somebody to give me the wireframe-unwrapped-pngs.

I don't have one for the Thor. I've been working on one for the ATGM cant seem to get it layed out right. Want me to e-mail want I have?

The dragonfly is a very impressive model. Would quite like to give that a texture once it is finalised. The main problem with that one is the ATGM turrets which aren't actually connected to anything...

Thank you, for the compliment and the offer. Your quite right the turrets are not attached. That is were I want the turrets to go and how I want them to move but I have not figured out what the mount should look like. Any ideas?

Also if you look closly the front ion gun is hovering too, I'm thinking of moving it to under the nose.