Crystal landscapes

I seem to remember someone asking for crystal landscapes as an idea for a scenario. Well, since I'm having technical troubles with 1.2.6 (although we are now at the "it works with no sound" stage) I've been putting my brain to use on the problem of creating crystal-style landscapes.

Here's where I've got to as displayed in Geomorph.

Crystal1.jpg

As this stands, I think it would be an interesting test for the bot AI pathfinding :)

If I were to build a level based entirely on this sort of terrain, roads would be critical to establish reasonable routes through the landscape.

I'm still toying with the algorithms too - the next thing to do is alter the size of the crystal faces according to the height of the terrain. Low lying areas should probably be fairly large and flat, with higher areas being composed of more smaller faces.

Currently each face is calculated based on a smoothing algorithm over each Voronoi cell. I'm considering switching over to a best-fit plane for each face, so that it more accurately reflects the original landscape before crystallization. I may implement that and consider the effect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I apologise for the lack of updates recently. I've been having some home renovation done and the house is full of dust and junk. The renovations are a prelude to a new arrival in our house sometime in the September time frame and my game playing time has been somewhat truncated as a result. I will, most definitely try and get a Crystal landscape out for people to play with soon (but I'm off on vacation soon, so don't expect immediate turn around).