Of Linux, Mice and Dropteam

I have DT on XP and Linux (Xubuntu32bit)

I have a Logitech G5 laser mouse.

The Mouse works fine in both OSs.

However when I zoom in and try to aim at distant targets in Linux (not in XP) the mouse seems to lose its accuracy. It feels like when you try to use an optical mouse on white paper or a completely gummed up traditional mouse.

Given the discrepancy between the two OSs I thought: must be da driver. In a website somebody posted his xorg.conf settings for his G5. Under driver he had "evdev", whereas I have "mouse"

Now my Linux has evdev, but if I exchange "mouse" to "evdev" the x server crashes.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815[jby]:

I have DT on XP and Linux (Xubuntu32bit)

I have a Logitech G5 laser mouse.

The Mouse works fine in both OSs.

However when I zoom in and try to aim at distant targets in Linux (not in XP) the mouse seems to lose its accuracy. It feels like when you try to use an optical mouse on white paper or a completely gummed up traditional mouse.

Given the discrepancy between the two OSs I thought: must be da driver. In a website somebody posted his xorg.conf settings for his G5. Under driver he had "evdev", whereas I have "mouse"

Now my Linux has evdev, but if I exchange "mouse" to "evdev" the x server crashes.

Any ideas?

Yes - it probably is the driver causing the mouse to be used in low-resolution. I have a Dual-Optical MouseMan which is technically capable of 800dpi but I've ... ummm ... not bothered to try reconfiguring it.

Anyway - Xorg requires certain arcane knowledge which can only be acquired at night with only the glow of the LEDs illuminating your straining eyesight as Dark Secrets and Strange Magicks are explored.

Or you can just read this page instead (darkness not mandatory) smile.gif

Configuring Logitech Mice

If X.org is proving difficult to debug, you can send me the logs over email and I'll waive a few strange herbs over it :eek:

I couldn't find Logitech Applet any more, but the following link allows you to set the resolution of your Logitech devices:

LMCtl home page

My xorg.conf file now has the following entry for my Dual Optical Mouseman:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Configured Mouse"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "evdev"

Option "Dev Name" "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse"

# Option "Dev Phys" "usb-*/input*"

# Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"

# Option "Buttons" "5"

# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

</pre>

LMCTl doesnt recognize my mouse.

my current xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Configured Mouse"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

# Option "CorePointer"

# Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

Option "Dev Name" "Logitech USB Gaming Mouse"

# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"

# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"

EndSection

if i change the protocol to evdev x goes titsup.

which is the logfile you would require?

Oh well - this is embarrassing. We had a storm here today which knocked out the power and it looks like my evdev experiments with X.org never took - now it fails on startup trying to initialize the evdev protocol.

Still the LMCtl utility works for me. I'll try and solve the X.org issue at some point...