for the weak...

poesel

...in computer power:

I'm currently stuck with the company laptop which is otherwise a fine machine but definatly not a gamers choice(Pentium M 1,6Ghz, 512Mb RAM, Intel 82852/82855 graphics controller). Still I want to play DropTeam (of course smile.gif

I turned every option off, alle levers to the left and ended all other programs (even those in the background). Even so I end up with <5fps as soon as something happens. :(

Is there (or will there be) another option I can turn off to get things to speed? I'm willing to sacrifice all graphical goodies as long as I can still see the enemy. Heck, I would go with vector graphis! (which would be btw very cool even with enough processor power: I can still remember playing Stellar7 for hours ;) )

Oh, changing the texture detail is easy smile.gif

(...doing ugly things to nice graphics...)

Ok, now I have a "minimal" mod and parts of DropTeam now look like an early 90's game smile.gif

I found out that I must not reduce the number of colors in smoke. I can reduce its resolution though. Messing with tank textures is easy, too.

Where would I gain most? I can get the model textures easily down to a third of their size but is that worth the while?

Where is the difference between the "Team1WoodlandMBT.." and the "WoodlandMBT..."?

Btw, I really love the game for the ability to mess around with things! smile.gif

The "detail textures" option I was talking about makes the terrain stop rendering its detail textures - so the terrain rendering goes from 3 or 4 passes to just one. This one change alone might get you up and running at a decent rate on that Intel chip. I'll see if we can make it an option once again (even if only on the command line). I'm pretty sure we can.

Yes - I just tested and I had >20fps even with 5 Thors burning. One thing I noticed that the frame rates drop when the Tacmap is open. ?

Sorry for the late answer but my trip is over and I could use my normal computer to see the infantry. But in three weeks time I'm off again with the laptop and then I will be glad to have that option.

And you are right - it is UGLY smile.gif

• 2 months later...

It runs with detail texture (if it wouldn't start how would I know about the 3fps? ;) ).

I tried to run from the command line 'DropTeam.exe -usedetailtextures false' and I added the lines to the icons properties. Both with same results.

Would there be something in the log that expresses if its active or not?

Which DropTeam.exe are we talking about? The one at the root level (Program Files/Battlefront/DropTeam) or the one in the \bin subdirectory? You need to pass that arg to the one in bin. So in your case, at a command prompt, you would cd to \program files\battlefront\dropteam\bin and then type:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">DropTeam.exe -usedetailtextures false</pre>

But please note, after an update has been released and your install patches itself, you then *must* run the top level DropTeam.exe (such as by going to Start/Programs/Battlefront/DropTeam) just to make the update finish correctly. Then you can go back to running the one in \bin directly.

Ugh. Would be a lot easier to put this switch back on the Options tab wouldn't it?