Global War conversion for WaW by Sami

Hi to you all guys!

I am glad to announce the conversion of the Global War campaign for WaW. I spent nearly all Easter in doing the work. So far I got a beta running.

Still incomplete: weather zones (40%), faithful land tiles (60%), rails&roads (0%). The rest seems to be done and working (scripts, sprites, country data etc.). I am eager to upload a first beta on CMMODS within the next 48 hours. Hell of a work!! Testers are welcome and I am open to any proposals/suggestions.

cu

Samichlaus

Thank you. It seems I was a little too enthusiastic concerning the upload. The rails&roads, the weather layers are a tedious and time consuming work. I also wonder whether I should convert the bocage sprite into a jungle sprite. But since I am eager to hear from you guys what you think so far, I probably will upload the unfinished (but playable!) version, so anybody can fiddle around with it and perhaps improve it too. Let's see.

I'll keep everybody posted about the progress. And if someone wants to help, he's welcomed!

Sami

Thanks powergmbh! Although all my efforts may be in vain once the official map/campaign comes out, I am still working to improve my mod (the beta 0.9a release will soon be ready, including more rails, weather layers and perhaps some media-popup-events not even included in the original). I simply can't wait and then it's a good way to learn/understand all the scripting and "spriting".

I think when they did the global SC2 version the map scale was not really appropriate for the units mobility -air units range should be reduced to 3, bombers to 5, mobility of land units reduced by one. Just having UK's coast so close (maybe accurate for scale) makes for real funny amphib operations for the axis and allies alike. Maybe coastal distance increased by one for play balance issues. Ships and transports range should also be reduced - it's like they are flying on hydrofoils at this stage. But overall, the original sc2 global was a very welcome addition and Sami's conversion to waw is phenomenal.

One also has to think about all the clutter on the map with WAW with the units - hopefully, we can get a larger global map that is more apportioned to units and scale.

There's a problem tho with setting a movement rate of 1 for a ground unit tho-it will be immobile in certain weather/hex type combinations. I once wanted to mod the Clash of Steel HQ move rate of one (to reflect the lagging supply problem during a rapid blitzkrieg), but the instant any rain or mud shows up and they're dead in the water. IIRC in CoS you could always move at least one hex no matter what.

Thanks for all the suggestions/reflections. Right now I left all movement and action point costs as they were in the original SC2 Global Conflict scenario. But playtesting myself, I consider reducing some values as suggested by aesopo, since for this scale some units seem to advance too quick. I am also considering to reduce the tank units to only "one strike" (on the other hand, I always liked this feature).

Thanks a lot, these comments keep me working, since I am far from being finished. There are still flaws in the actual version (for instance in winter turns, the japs HQ shows a french HQ, jungle tiles show suddenly bocage, there are too less roads, I think of changing some values and adding villages and so on), but I am still playtesting it. But for now, the game runs in a way I can accept for a beta.

Sami

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sami,

I was thinking about the fact that you cannot amphib onto an enemy-occupied hex, which makes recreating the Pacific campaign difficult, using this game engine.

A solution would to make all important island bases multi-hex island groups (i.e Truk or Guam/Saipan would be two island hexes, and an island hex with a port.

A house rule could be that no unit larger than a corps could garrison an island group and that one clear hex must be left unoccupied to allow amphib assaults. The other, occupied hex could be fortified, either at the start of the game, or via engineer.