A New Scenario Posted: Operation Typhoon

I just posted the file at CMODS

http://www.cmmods.com/

This is my second attempt and I could not have finished it without Bill101’s (SC Forum alias) help. He found a very unusual error in the Media folder that was preventing images from appearing with a related popup.

This scenario is about Germany’s 1941 attack on Moscow and the Russian counterattack. It is big – lots of units. I hope that this leaves the player with a sense of how large this battle was and the enormity of the casualties suffered by both sides. In researching this I was struck by how well the Red Army had rebuilt itself since the start of Barbarossa. Enjoy.

As always, send me your comments and thoughts. I will improve the scenario as I get feedback.

Robert

Much fun. But some comments:

- Dont mix command levels, use army hq for germans, not a mix of corps/armies.

- Rename to Guderian from "gurerian"

- Introduce artillery regiments

- Introduce SS and Russian Guard division by using the special commando unit. I want easily to recognise Das Reich SS division and also want the Gross-Deutschland regiment in.

- Movement levels are too high, the effect in mud and rain is too small. Reduce it, and also only keep the extra motorisation for the units who need it.

- Some roads are missing, feels strange when you have railroads but no roads.

great scenario!

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

I thought the same about your Battle for Russia scenario Kuni, and surmised that it was because of the scale/roads turning to mud in bad weather.

Is there a different reason?

Originally posted by Bill101:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kuniworth:

I thought the same about your Battle for Russia scenario Kuni, and surmised that it was because of the scale/roads turning to mud in bad weather.

Is there a different reason? </font>

Kuniworth;

Thank you for the suggestions and pointers. Here are some of my thoughts…

- HQ unit quantities

I lowered the number of German counters, and I can do so again.

- Artillery Regiments

I am not sure about artillery regiments. If it were latter in the war we would see Soviet artillery Division, but I do not have any information on the Russian organizing their artillery outside their Divisions in 1941. Do you have any information on the German artillery formations?

- Movement

While I was building the scenario I gave this some thought - I too felt the movement was too much. How about this… I lower the infantry movement and let the armor and mech units stay the same? Maybe this will show how tanks can get way too far in front of the rest of the army. How does this sound?

-Unit Designation

I have to be honest, I muddled through the unit designations. I knew Panzer Divisions 1 through 20 were in Russian by Fall ‘41, but I do not have any other information on the Germans. Late in game development I came across a book by Walter Dunn called "Stalin’s Key to Victory, the Rebirth of the Red Army." Dunn's work goes into detail how the Red Army stayed alive and turned the tide on the Germans. He has a great list of Division at Moscow in 1941, I can use that. But, I need a good reference for the German Divisions. Please send me any links that may be available.

-Game Unit Type

Most of the Divisions are generic. So I would love to add color by including the SS and Guards Divisions. But, I am not sure I need to use different types (like the special forces piece). Maybe I can just increase experience or technology to match the capabilities of these elite Divisions. I have a little history on the Guard Divisions, but nothing on the SS Divisions. Again, send me any links that are available.

I’ll keep working to make the scenario better.

Robert

Originally posted by RobertC:

Kuniworth;

Thank you for the suggestions and pointers. Here are some of my thoughts…

- HQ unit quantities

I lowered the number of German counters, and I can do so again.

- Artillery Regiments

I am not sure about artillery regiments. If it were latter in the war we would see Soviet artillery Division, but I do not have any information on the Russian organizing their artillery outside their Divisions in 1941. Do you have any information on the German artillery formations?

- Movement

While I was building the scenario I gave this some thought - I too felt the movement was too much. How about this… I lower the infantry movement and let the armor and mech units stay the same? Maybe this will show how tanks can get way too far in front of the rest of the army. How does this sound?

-Unit Designation

I have to be honest, I muddled through the unit designations. I knew Panzer Divisions 1 through 20 were in Russian by Fall ‘41, but I do not have any other information on the Germans. Late in game development I came across a book by Walter Dunn called "Stalin’s Key to Victory, the Rebirth of the Red Army." Dunn's work goes into detail how the Red Army stayed alive and turned the tide on the Germans. He has a great list of Division at Moscow in 1941, I can use that. But, I need a good reference for the German Divisions. Please send me any links that may be available.

-Game Unit Type

Most of the Divisions are generic. So I would love to add color by including the SS and Guards Divisions. But, I am not sure I need to use different types (like the special forces piece). Maybe I can just increase experience or technology to match the capabilities of these elite Divisions. I have a little history on the Guard Divisions, but nothing on the SS Divisions. Again, send me any links that are available.

I’ll keep working to make the scenario better.

Robert

some comments on your comments smile.gif

HQ:s

Dont know what you are aiming at, I just did'nt know who "Guererian" and thought you meant Guderian...well are you? I just think you should decid if the hq:s in use are armies or corps for the different sides. If you use corps HQ for germany, don't mix some corps and some armies, use on or the other or both levels, but just dont mix.

Movement

Yes lower the movement and also check if there are to little chance of mud. It rains often but not a lot of mud.

Links

For OOB and positions check here web page and here web page

Also you should try to model the winter effect on german forces with a strength reducing event.