Spanish Civil War?

The Spanish Civil War is a standard feature of the SC 2 WaW expansion, which you can buy on this site by cd or download. Click on Products in the upper left-hand portion of the screen for more details.

I am not aware of a version of the Spanish Civil War scenario that works with SC 2 Blitzkrieg, v 1.08 or otherwise. And if it did exist, you still wouldn't want to use it -- the SCW scenario takes full advantage of the improved AI and new system features of the WaW expansion that are very important for a scenario on this scale.

Thanks Philippe, will no doubt order it soonest.

I've recently downloaded the v1.08 patch with the integral World War campaign.

Will this still work if I download tha WaW expansion, seeing that is only version 1.02? Or do both versions have nothing to do with each other?

Thanks very much

The WaW expansion is a more evolved version of Blitzkrieg, so you shouldn't really try to mix things from the two systems.

Hubert is in the process of porting the Global Campaign to the WaW engine, and from time to time he gives a progress report on these boards. From what he's posted, I suspect it will have more detail than the original because the WaW system encourages a designer to take more things into account. So take the brief wait as an opportunity to play the Spanish Civil War and get used to the enhanced system before the new Global Campaign comes out.

By the way, the 3-D icons for the Spanish Civil War are truly endearing. Not only are there clear portrayals of the uniform types for the different factions, but some of the early tank types that show up look like civilian trucks with machine guns and bolted-on armor plating -- delightfully primitive and improvised looking. My 2-D icons can never come close to that as far as period atmosphere goes.

They actually were civilian lorries with machine guns and bolted-on armoured plating! It was barely bullet proof and most of them had real trouble moving off road, with break downs being rather common.

The ones in the game were based on some models in my collection:

UHPRightFacing.jpg

KingKongrightfacing.jpg

The King Kong was the first armoured vehicle fitted with a revolving 360 degree turret to be produced and sent to the Durruti Column on the Aragon front in August 1936. I don't know how many of this model were actually built, I've a picture somewhere of three of them together, so it was at least more than a one-off!

A little way into the war the Anarchists did produce a proper tankette type vehicle in some numbers (about 80) called the Sadurni de Noya after the factory where they were made. There were two types, one with a machine gun and another which was an artillery tractor.

Pictures of both can be found here:

http://www.sbhac.net/Republica/Fuerzas/Armas/Carros/Carros.htm

I did consider having this as their level 1 armour but didn't have time to create a nice image based on these pictures - so opted for the T-26 and capping armour at level 1.

So Bill , we're both miniature wargamers I guess?

Doing the SCW in 28mm, using mostly Anglian and Force Of Arm miniatures.

Just managed to get hold of an old OOP HLBSC Schneider Ca-1 tank. Needs a lot of work but well worth it.

@ Philippe,

So if I understood correctly SC Blitzkrieg and WAW are two totally different engines?

Really love the new Global campaign for SC2 so I'm a bit reluctant to give it up now.

I suppose the SC2 editor also doesn't work with WaW?

Fitzroy,

Weapons and Warfare, i.e. the WaW expansion, is a separate product that only needs SC2 Blitzkrieg installed in order to run. For example, WaW has its own campaigns and Editor that work separately from the Blitzkrieg campaigns and Editor. If you purchase WaW you do not lose anything from Blitzkrieg, i.e. you can play all the Blitzkrieg campaigns such as the Global campaign and also play the new WaW campaigns such as the Spanish Civil War campaign etc.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Originally posted by Fitzroy:

So Bill , we're both miniature wargamers I guess?

Doing the SCW in 28mm, using mostly Anglian and Force Of Arm miniatures.

Just managed to get hold of an old OOP HLBSC Schneider Ca-1 tank. Needs a lot of work but well worth it.

I play it in 20mm, I just love all the armoured lorries and the colour and variety of all the units. The Fields of Barcelona is one of my favourite vehicles because of its smooth rounded hull, though sometimes I bring my Republican militia onto the table in a red double decker bus suitably attired with Republican slogans!

Well, I've just downloaded the WaW expansion and the new patch and have already taken a peek at the SCW scenario. Looks great!

Bill, I love those improvised monsters as well.

Luckily there are quite a few availabble in 28mm (1/56th scale) as well, otherwise I would probably have turned to 20mm as you did.

So far I got the Bilbao armoured car, two different UML-35s, armoured lorry #2 and #10, two PzKfw Is (one with a 20mm cannon) a Chevrolet M37

four T-26 tanks, a BT-5 tank, two BA-6 armoured cars, a beautiful Somua armoured naval car and two or three FT-17s. Some small CV-33 tankettes are on the way.

Real stroke of luck last week when I managed to buy a long OOP secondhand Schneider Ca-1 tank. The Ca-1 was used in Madrid in 1936 and of course also in the Riff wars, another one of my favourite periods, especially since I can use most of my Spanish Legion figures.

Planes is another matter however. 1/72nd scale is really too small and suitable planes in 1/48th are far and few between.

We (Tin Soldiers of Antwerp wargame club that is) are planning a Spanish Civil War demo at the Hamburg wargame event in March. If at all possible I'll post either some pictures or a link to our website here.

Happy New Year!

Willie