PBEM Games Cause Stack Dump In Windows 2000

Hey Fellas,

My Brother is having a bit of a problem with his computer running Combat Mission. Here's the setup:

DELL 500 MHZ

128MB RAM

16MB TNT Video Card

---------------------------------------------

Windows 2000 freshly installed about 3 weeks ago. There are hardly any other applications installed at this time and no other games.

DirectX 8

Latest video drivers from Nvidia.

Combat Mission (medium install) with patch 1.12

All of the Microsoft patches i.e. service packs and the lot.

---------------------------------------------

The weird thing is that he can play scenarios and QBs. But when he clicks "Join Network Game" and then tries to load a PBEM file it crashes. C.M. doesn’t even let him select a PBEM file, it stack dumps and reboots his computer before showing the PBEM directory. As always, I'll wait for your much-appreciated advice.

Thanks,

Head

It seems to be a strange association, but...

What version of the NVidia Detonator drivers is he using ? I know in the past that some people had problems with "multiplayer" in CM and changing/updating their NVidia Detonators fixed it for them.

You can get some of the latest drivers from here:

Reactorcritical (go to TNT/TNT2/GeForce section and make sure you download a driver for Win2K and not Win9x/ME. You may also want to try one of the 7.xx series Detonators - 11.x is the latest series):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 04-02-2001).]

• 4 weeks later...