New Scenario Posted

I just posted a new SC2 WaW scenario at CMMODS http://www.cmmods.com/

I got the idea from an old copy of Avalon Hill’s General Magazine. In that issue they describe an alternate scenario for Hitler’s War based on the Berlin Crisis of 1948 igniting open warfare. Since SC2 WaW is similar, it seemed a natural adaptation.

It was interesting researching the time period just after World War 2. I incorporated many historical events into the scenario.

The most prominent event in relation to the geographical area of SC2 WaW was the situation in the Middle East. In 1948 Israel declared its independence and the Arabs immediately attacked. Both sides used old British equipment and were influenced by the British military. In fact, the Transjordan Arab Legion was lead by British general Glubb. In this scenario I borrowed an idea from SC2 Global War and the Chinese Civil war using different script to simulate the effects of the war.

Although the Algerian revolt did not start till a few years latter, I insert this conflict to add some additional interest. My rational is simply that communist influence speeds up the process that lead Algerian nationalist to revolt.

Early in 1948 Tito broke with Stalin. But, here again I take liberty to add a little more interest. Yugoslavia stays loyal to Moscow.

A key American strategy at the time was to use bombers with atomic weapons. Although I do not intend my increases of USA and UK bomber range and firepower to replicate atomic weapons, I do hope to simulate the Allied striking power of its emerging bomber force.

I’ve spent a few weeks modifying the order of battle and scripts. I welcome all suggestions and would love to include some of your ideas. Let me know how I can improve this scenario.

[ December 13, 2007, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: RobertC ]

• 3 weeks later...

Robert,

Interesting mod, I must say I'm actually having fun with it.

Observations, suggestions...

There are a couple of spelling errors in your "Victory Conditions", I'm anal I notice these things.

What's the deal with the weird backwards Cuban looking flag for Germany? Does that come into play later on in the game? If it does my bad...

Does diplomacy work on Saudi Arabia? I threw three chits at them with the United States and it didn't budge after five turns.

Also, since in WAW you can now add pictures to events, I think it would spruce up the game to add something say when a country surrenders.

And finally, I don't know how much military equipment changed from 1945 to 1948, but it would be cool to add some sprites that would give it that 50's feel...that may be too time consuming however.

Anyway, great job!

Frost,

Thank you for the fine complements.

I saw the spelling errors and I will correct.

The backward Cuban flag is actually the Occupation flag Germany flew just after the war; the tricolor Germany uses today came a few years latter.

Not sure about Saudi Arabia, maybe I should give America a better diplomatic rating. But, I did not change any American- Saudi aspects.

Yes, I do think new military sprites would add to the flavor of the game. I have not tried to work with that, but I might.

I am working on another scenario, a historical one. It should be posted within a week.

Robert

Hmm...well I learn something new everyday. I didn't know about the occupation flag, but that was a great idea to put that in. I'm still in the middle of a battle right now...it's 1950 and Germany is still split down the middle. The Soviets take ground, then I take ground it goes back and forth. The Soviets took Turkey and the North half of Italy. I had to use most of all the American forces to kick the Soviets out of Italy, but they still have Venice. I'm also on the run in the Middle East, and the Soviets might take Jerusalem...I stink smile.gif

Frost,

Have you tried strategic bombing yet?

I increased USA & UK Bomber strengths a little. Try placing bombers as close to the USSR (or occupied territories) as possible and hit their cities.

I did not add an offensive script for Italy/Rome – that is a powerful AI.

Have you had any luck with your aircraft carries?

Robert

I've used the strategic bombers a lot, but used them more for ganging up on the Soviet tanks. I haven't had much of chance to strategic bomb because I'm just trying to keep the Soviets out of France. I completely dominated the Soviets in the water, I don't think they have a Navy left, and anytime they have the balls to bring a ship out it ends up dead that very turn. The carriers have been quite helpful. Yeah, if you didn't put an AI in to attack Italy that's pretty funny. If I didn't bring the Americans in, they would have taken Rome.

Okay RobertC I finished your campaign. I beat the Russkies back all the way to Moscow..it was costly, many died, but the Russkies will never again threaten Europe smile.gif

Anway a couple of things...

You have to go and change the generals names for Germany. Once I liberated Berlin I was able to make German units, and once again I had Rommel out there, and that just didn't seem right...it was ironic...but strange.

Also Patton died in 1945 so he can't fight either, but he did kick some butt let me tell you...

The diplomacy finally worked for Saudi Arabia, but at that point I didn't need their stupid oil anyway... smile.gif

Great mod, just fix those German unit names.