Editing Scripts in Modified Campaigns

I am taking a run at editing scripts.

I opened the basic 39-FALL WEISS game in the editor and saved it as a modified game with a new name. I have made a few minor edits in the modified game - no problem. I am able to see and open both the original and modified campaign in both game and editor.

However, when I try to access and edit either the event or AI scripts in the new modified campaign (I select the script and hit `open-edit`), I get a Notepad `The System cannot find the path specified` error. Indeed, when I look for the modified campaign files with Windows Vista Explorer, I can`t see the modified campaign folder or .cgn file.

Am I approching this the wrong way

MRH

MajorRH,

In some cases on Vista, and I think it depends on your log in rights, i.e. if you are not running as an Administrator, it saves files in the following directory:

Drive:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Battlefront\Strategic Command 2 Weapons and Warfare Expansion\

I believe it has something to do with Vista's "compatability files" format/rules etc.

Thank You for your input Hubert.

MS Vista seems a bit quirky here. I found the files per your suggested path. In order to access it, I had to unhide the folder.

So to confirm that I am doing this right, after I open the SC2 editor and select the script, I hit "open/edit", close the "system path cannot be found error" box, then in Notepad (which is now open in the background) File-Open to the path in the AppData Folder and select the desired script, make the edit, save in Notepad and then select "Update" back in the SC2 editor.

I had no luck in accessing the script files in the AppData folder using the new SC2WW script editor.

I struggled with this problem for 2 months.

I have windows Vista and it is "compatibilty files" associated like Mr Cater says.

When you are in a screen trying to open files in Vista you have an upper tray and if you look it has a button which shows up called Compatibility Files. Click on this and it unhides the files you are trying to access.

I am not very good with this kind of stuff so if I did not explain it well enough just yell at me and I will try again.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VistasShowCompatibilityFilesAndTheScrumptiousWonderThatIsFileVirtualization.aspx

I hope I am not doing anything wrong posting this link. It explains the Compatibility Files problem with people running Vista and not being able to see thier files.

Please feel free to remove this if I am in the wrong.

Thank you

Fuchu

ps I am the administrator on my computer but it still stopped me from seeing the files, till I learned about the compatibility button(which itself is hidden untill you actually click on a file)

Ok I found two workarounds... one is to disable Vista's User Access Control and then it should save the files as expected. The other is that if you do not wish to disable UAC you can try and install the game into any other directory other than the Program Files directory.

For example, C:\Games\Weapons and Warfare etc. If you do this it doesn't seem to redirect the files with UAC enabled.

Hope this helps,

Hubert