Mods and the Enhancement Pack

It has been slow going working on the scripting and play balance for my Russian Civil War mod but now I'm wondering if I should stop all together until the enhancement pack comes out. I see many features that would make a big difference in the RCW mod for example, railroads.

So my questions are:

1. Will current mods still play once the enhancement pack is installed?

2. Will Mods which are in development be easily adapted to the enhancement pack changes or must the Mod be started again from scratch?

1. Will current mods still play once the enhancement pack is installed?

2. Will Mods which are in development be easily adapted to the enhancement pack changes or must the Mod be started again from scratch?

Answer to #1 is no. There are too many new features.

For #2, it's not an "easy" or complete adaptation but enough of one that you won't have to start over from scratch.

Many items from the v1.06 export data can be imported into the new Editor. But because of the many new features, other items cannot be imported and will have to be redone. It's sort of like when the v1.05 patch came out with new script formats, and most all scripts needed some adjustments? There's effort required, and with the many new features modders will probably also have to re-evaluate their mods. Did I mention the many new features? :cool:

I can't go into specifics at this point. I have started the process of converting my campaigns so I'll try to prepare some notes to help assist folks once the expansion is released.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey -

I'm still playing a game with your mod and something really weird has happened!

I went out of the room for several AI turns to do stuff, and all of a sudden noticed that a French Partisan until captured Luxemburg! I'm pretty tired up in the East right now, and was prepared to transport a unit or two when during the AI air phase I saw some US air fleets IN FRANCE, next to a French city the partisans had captured!

I'm attacking them now, but so far there is one US bomber in France, that just operated out, but I took the French city so the 4 fighters units are stuck there!!

Pretty strange seeing air units operating into territory captured by partisans and operating from there!

I'm still enjoying your mod greatly - can't wait for you to update it once the new add on is out.

I don't know how you can stop the AI from doing that, but thought you'd want to know.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suspect the AI would do that since they can capture any city including capitals. I had them capture Benelux in the regular version.

Doubt that can be stopped without rewriting Partisan code.

I just keep a corp in each capital so that doesnt happen anymore.

Jim

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately as they currently stand they are not immediately compatible but can be ported with a few tweaks as the bitmap files now include in some cases the new unit, terrain and resource slots etc.

As long as the old bitmap images are updated to satisfy the WaW requirements, i.e. new dimensions and sprite arrangements they should be ported over pretty easily.

For additional reference though there will be a short write up included from Bill Macon that advises modders on how to migrate their custom campaigns from Blitzkrieg to Weapons and Warfare as some of the campaign data files are in fact transferable, just not the entire campaign.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about that but I'll throw a question out here....

With the added new units, the columns of the original bit map units are now shifted over to the right. For example, 1st level armor was in the 7th column in SC2 but is now in the 11th column in WaW. So, is it a simple matter of cut and paste my mod armor into the 11th column, or do I need to resize it?

No resizing necessary just more units so more columns sort of thing.

For tips, Bill is probably the best guy to ask as he did his own mod conversion but one thing I can think of which I am not sure is in the conversion docs is to make sure you create your weather zones list before you try importing the weather map. The only reason for this is if you try and import your old weather map it cannot correlate the entries with items on your list because the list is empty. Once you re-create the weather zone list the old weather map should import fine. Not much but a bit of a time saver.

is it a simple matter of cut and paste?
Yes. The icons are still the same size, just positioned differently in the new bitmap files. You can use whatever old ones you already have and then create new ones for the new units.

Are there any tips&tricks to make retooling a bit faster?
Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 helps. :D

I think I covered everything in those notes. It's a tedious process but simple enough. I will suggest that modders get comfortable as quickly as possible with the new update features in the Editor menus. For example, you can set CTVs for one country one time and then update some or all of those CTVs for some or all of the other countries. Short of being able to import/export this data from a spreadsheet, this is a very convenient feature.

Oh, to elaborate on what Hubert just said, I also found it helpful to first export all of the default campaign data and then, for some stuff like the weather zones, import that data into your custom campaign. At least it will give you a workable campaign without erors. And it's always easier to edit than to create from scratch

Is there a method of transfering your OOB, including initial setup forces, reeinforcment schedule, and unit designations, from the SC2 to WaW editor, or is this one of those start from scratch jobs?..........thanks

Unfortunately no, these items need to be redone. What I did to make this easier was to have the old SC2 editor and new SC2-WaW editor both open and I could at least see the old data as I went along.

Something to watch out for as you go through this process is resetting all the various country parameters to what you had before. Little things get missed and sometimes it's late in the playtest process when you realize, "Doh! I thought I had that set!" Been there, done that. redface.gif