War of the Worlds... Still Kicking!

I have been a little busy over Christmas with another project (which will come to light in the fullness of time). But have spent the last few weeks grabbing what time I have and using it to continue with this project. The game is now just about playable for playtesting purposes but still has many many graphical 'rough edges' to sort out before it's ready. Here is a screeny of my latest playtest where the Martians are just about emerging from their first cylinder (which currently looks suspiciously like the city of London!!) as the red weed creeps it's way inexorably towards Kensington Palace. Two British Battalions are poised to 'smash' the alien invaders...sadly they hadn't reckoned on the heatray! It is possible to beat the aliens by force of arms but the human general has to concentrate so much firepower that the rest of London will be swallowed up if he does. It's a quandry for our human commander.

Battle_for_Hyde_Park.jpg

The Alien, on the other hand, cannot afford to get too tied up by the human forces or risks running out of time before the virus wipes them out.

It's a lot of fun to play and even more fun to create... just wish I had more time to give!

Tune in for next month's installment folks ;)

PS And, in case you were wondering about what happened to the two, aforementioned, British battalions... they were melted very swiftly!

[ February 15, 2007, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Moonslayer ]

Originally posted by n0kn0k:

I'd take a bit less bright green color for the mini tiles on the map though. Those are really standing out atm hehe.

I agree... that is just one of the 'rough edges' I have to sort out ;)

To begin with I need to ensure I have all the graphics in play. I am really not looking forward to doing the silhouettes as my graphics software will not do them quickly in a satisfactory way... I may be calling on Normal Dude for some assistance with this matter ;)

I don't think I am ever going to be happy with the tripods... they are just too gangly for the size of the sprites and look a little flimsy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I may utilise an idea by Fantomas for my bridge problem but for now I am using 'ferries'. I can easily see this mod taking months to complete with my 2 or three hours a week I can currently give to it.

Good things come to those who wait, however ;)

I don't think I am ever going to be happy with the tripods... they are just too gangly for the size of the sprites and look a little flimsy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Just do as i did smile.gif Put a 1 pixel black outline on em. Best to do that manually with MSPaint, that way you can easily add more black on specific spots if needed. tongue.gif

Here are a couple more teasers for the mod.

I have tidied up the tripod graphics and completed the main title screen. I have also played around with the red weed and think it looks pretty cool!

This is the end of my last playtest... the Martians storm the last Human barracks... and there is nothing, and noone, left to stop them ;)

The_last_stronghold.jpg

And here is the main title screen:

Titles.jpg

That is definately all I have time for this week... must mark papers before the return to school on Monday! :(

• 4 weeks later...

Another update folks!

Game Graphics: One Sprite left to do... phew!

Game Sounds: Most complete, a few more music tracks to add in yet.

Scripts: Lots still to do.

Interface: One or two left to do only.

Play testing: Soloed but no pvp yet.

Next weekend I am hopeful that I may be in a position to look for a volunteer to pvp with me to see how balanced it is. If anyone would like to help me over Easter that would be really great!

Cheers for now.

Originally posted by Retributar:

The Tripod's look 'just fine', NOT PERFECT HOWEVER!, but just fine!,...it's too-bad that the Editor is unable to cope with larger images!.

Maybey, Hubert might have a suggestion/solution as far as limited sizes for Bitmaps???.

I agree to a certain extent. I have reworked the tripods so much they are virtually hand-drawn now with very little of the original image left. The human sprites have been made purposely small to attempt to contrast with the tall tripods and, personally, I feel this has been pretty successful. Having the ability to draw any sized sprites would be real handy but not very practical to do with the current mechanics.

The only sprite left to do is the biggest and nastiest tripod... I am finding it a little tricky but hope to make time for it during the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the kind words. The title screen came from one of the many websites I trawled looking for pics and inspiration. Sadly I don't remember which one.

Also I have fallen behind in the planned schedule I wrote earlier. I have still some way to go before the scripts are complete but almost every other aspect is now complete except for playtesting.

Graphics and sounds are complete... it is a serious sound-fest so I had to lower the scope somewhat to ease the pressure on the ears.

The final tripod is complete but is not quite as imposing as I wanted it to be... still, it should be a nasty shock when you see one striding down the mall towards Buckingham Palace and your lone company set to protect the important building ;)

Moonslayer!... 1st off, im glad to see that this wonderful MOD is not 'Dead in the Water!'. Thankyou for not giving up!.

As a General Foreman once told me when he made me Foreman, was to Delegate!,...Delegate!,...Delegate!,...and try to complete one important task at a time while several tasks are going on at the same time!,...in order to get the Job Going so that the work needed to be done will be accomplished!.

Soooo!,...request help!,...the Discussion Forum has quietened down lately for what-ever reason!. Now's a good time to get other's involved to help you out!. Who know's what they might be able to contribute to make this a Stellar-MOD!.

Good advice, Retributar, indeed I will be seeking help (as I alluded to in an earlier post) when I get to the PvP playtest phase. At the moment I am concentrating on getting scripting done... which, whilst others may be able to refine, I need to do it alone at the moment to ensure consistency.

Once the basic AI scripts are done then, if the MOD gets the thumbs up from other players, some of the more advanced script writers may well improve upon the basics. I am hoping that solo players especially will either offer suggestions or else even write their scripts straight in.

With the graphics/interface/sounds completed and with the Easter holiday looming I feel I am on the homeward straight now and am confident that the MOD will be available to the general public sometime in April.

Who knows, if it is well received then I may even embark upon a much grander scale version of this theme... especially now that Operation Mercury seems to be under development by someone else (I was part way through developing a version of it before you started me off on this venture ;P).

This project has been a fantastic diversion for me... and I even got to read H.G.Wells' classic once again (for research purposes only you understand ;) ).

Moonslayer!...

The 'War of the Worlds', is a 'Classic', that has stood the 'Test of Time',...it is very difficult to get Tired of it!.

There are Good-Scripter's here, Good-BitMap-Technician's & Some 'Out of the Box-Strategists/Thinker's here!. Let them know that they are needed!, and they will come!.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update:

Graphics have been fine tuned and completed now

Sounds have been tweaked and polished till they shine!

Scripting is a real pain but seems to be making good progress. I finally got the Martian AI to beat me on the maximum setting... sadly it only managed to do it once when I purposely avoided a particularly good defensive tactic... we'll see how long it takes people to work it out for themselves ;P

The Human AI is a different story. It refuses to follow the garrison scripts and insists on suicide attacks on the Martian cylinders... BIG mistake! I have scripted for Human counter-attacks but only when the time is right. This is the last hurdle to overcome before I can stick this mod on CMMODS. As noone has volunteered to playtest it with me I am having to do hotseat matches with the wife... sadly she is slightly less tactically gifted than my 6 month old son! Unfortunately he does not yet possess the motor functions to utilise the GUI ;)

IF anyone would like to try it out in a pvp matchup over this weekend then please drop a note in here or email me over the next day or two and I will send you the files.

Blast!!!,...i would love to have helped out, BUT!!!...i just took one of the "JOURNEYMEN" call's at the Electrician's Union Hall this morning!!!.

CALLS FOR WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11th, 2007 ...for I.B.E.W. L.U.#424 Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

CHEMCO ELECTRICAL @ ALBIAN SANDS CONSTRUCTION

1 MONTH PLUS, 10&4, 10 HR SHIFTS, START APRIL 17, PRE ACCESS D&A REQ'D,

NO BEARDS, WORK AT HEIGHTS, LIFTING, PULLING & CLIMBING INVOLVED,

CAMP PROVIDED

2 - COMBO ELEC/WELDERS DUAL TICKET ** Valid 4 Position CWB Req'd **

** (If None Will Take Journeyman Welder/Apprentice Electrician) **

10 - JOURNEYMEN

1 - 3rd YEAR APPRENTICE

1 - 2nd YEAR APPRENTICE

...And, hopefully whether i end up at the 'LakeSide Lodge' Camp or the 'Athabasca Lodge' Camp,...i will more than likely have 'Internet Access'!,...though!,...it is not guaranteed!.

I will be working 100 hours in 10-days, then 4-days off!. So i will have little time to playtest anything, but...at least i will try to keep up with your progress, and perhap's download your game when it is ready to go!. This job should be worth around $10,000.00 a month!.

I hope that im not the only 'Zealot' for this game, so that playtester's will make themselve

s available to help you out!.

Presently im at 'Rosedale', British Columbia, or translated...at least 12-hour's drive away from Edmonton, then it's another 5-hour drive to Ft. McMurray to pick up my Dispatch on Monday!, then another hour at least to the Job Camp-Site!. I still have to pack and make ready for the trip then sally-forth on Saturday morning, real...real early!.

[ April 11, 2007, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

Looks like I have solved most of my script problems and will be putting this on CMMODS tomorrow with all being well. I will have to await feedback before fine tuning the pvp side of things as noone has volunteered to help me tongue.gif

If things get too much to put it on tomorrow I will try to get it up before next weekend. It is, however, likely to be a large download as pretty much everything that could be altered has been altered and my compression software is not the best.