Is there any way to change the Research hit %?

Then,...howcome when the German's & Italians combined have around a 64% chance per turn to swing Spain over to the Axis side, that instead a hit to achieve a swingover is nearly non-existant [Even 40-50 turns later] and that, instead the allies are consistently winning over Spain more and more every few turns???. [EUROPEAN THEATER_perman]

Diplomacy is different than Research. Even though you may see %64 chance as the Axis, the actual percentage is dependent on the number of chits the Allies have spent.

From the Manual

"At the same time, your opponent could also be purchasing diplomacy chits to influence the same country. In this event, the difference between the cumulative friendly diplomatic pressure and the cumulative enemy diplomatic pressure will determine the percentage chance for a diplomatic result. The general idea is to allow for counter-diplomacy as well as for more interesting diplomatic results under fog of war whereby diplomacy chit purchases remain unknown. Therefore diplomacy and counter-diplomacy will have a realistic and often frustrating feel, as you may never be sure of what your opponent is doing and why your diplomatic efforts may have failed."

There maybe a round about way to reduce research hits as follows... for some types of units... particularly for armor.

Level 0 combat values for an armored unit are 4-5-4-5 (SA HA SD HD). Say you make the Level 0 combat values for armored units 3-5-3-5 (SA HA SD HD) but make the starting research value level 2 (All units start at Level 2. Finally, lets say that the top research level is made to b level 7....

If you run through this, your starting armored units at Level 2 have a +2 tech level increase in combat values ... so their upgraded combat values are 4-5-4-5. But research from level 2 to level 3 is a lot slower... and voila, you have a slower research pace.

...one more thing, make sure to adjust production costs accordingly, else your armored divisions will become too expensive.

This kind of adjustment has a couple of advantages: First it allows for a mechanism to represent the huge difference in fighting capabilites between the extremely poor Italian formations and the much better German, British and Russian counterparts (Thrawn comfronted this problem in a different manner...).

Second, it allows for "very cheap" "lightly armored" units... this gives the player more options to experiment with.

Thanks for the post ev - I just tried the editor and it appears that level 5 is the max research level.

We are using thrawn and loving it. Thrawn mod is where the research problem really shows with the simu. turns. We have been toying with the idea of making max research dollars to only allow 2 or 3 tech areas to be researched at a time. (in addition to the Thrawn ver 2 limit of one chit)

Originally posted by Concord Dan:

Thanks for the post ev - I just tried the editor and it appears that level 5 is the max research level.

Sorry I did not check it previous to my post. My (home) computer died on me. I am posting from another computer but I don't have SC2 in this computer.

Any way, this is truly sad... And, should be easy for Hubert to change in a future patch.

Hubert's limit may come out of the 5-4-3-2-1% decline in research progress rate. My guess is that we could leave at 1% research prorgress rate after tech level 5.