Thrawn is SUPERB!!!!!

What a great effort!!! Hands down the best mod so far!!! Only 2 questions, when will English ports be fixed, and can Germany's initial forces in the west wall be reduced by 50% to be more historicaly correct?

I can not tell you how many time we have team played this scenario!!!

To fix the “English port problem”, open “European Theater.cgn” in the Editor

Go to “Campaign”, “Edit Country Data”. Go to “UK”. Set “Max Operational Efficiency” from “70%” to “80%”.

After UK surrenders, ports strength will go to “5” which will allow you to transport forces back to the continent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe... actually no side! : tongue.gif It kind of unbalances the map itself (not just visually, but time-wise, unit, and strategically). I guess I'm kinda speaking about the 4th dimension smile.gif

In the long run I'd like to see the European latitude have another hex or two added (making Europe's North-South depth wider). Europe seems so squashed, and with Africa being so huge, Europe can become a bit de-emphasized. Sorry if I'm not making any sense at all. I wish I had more time this weekend, but I'm trying to recover our house from our nieces staying over. What a mess (in fact I'm procrastinating right now). I do have to go back and re-install SC2 and 1.04 because I forgot to do the import/export trick with the editor and can't load my stuff (otheriwse I'd show you the direction I was going). I'll do that soon though. smile.gif

Cheers HC! :D

@Edwin: I had always envisaged doing a 'what if' scenario where a more capable Italy had ambitions of conquering Africa and had the leadership to carry this out. The purpose of the editor is to try out these sorts of things ;)

I have long been a 'fan' of Italy in WWII since my childhood of playing 'desert rats' on my brother's speccy and my airfix 1/32 scale soldiers ('army men' to you colonial types ;) ) where my favourites were my Italian troops.

I have so many ideas for mods in this game but just a tiny portion of one lifetime in which to realise them :/

Originally posted by Moonslayer:

Africa does dwarf Europe in actual fact. Thrawns representation of Africa does not seem unreasonable to me. Here is my to scale mini map of one of my mods. africa_view.bmp

Africa is to exactly the right proportions.

You are right, Moonslayer. However, there are some really awkward issues to handle when you flatten the globe.

Given the size of the maps we are using, the flattening of the globe causes distortions, as you stretch the edges of the map. The kind of distortions, depend on the technique you use to flatten the globe. This distortions are inevitable. But, the challenge is to find a projection of the globe that will reduce the distortion in the most critical areas... See www.progonos.com.

Most popular maps use cylindrical projections centered around the equator. These projections have huge east-west distortions in the northern latitudes.

I am working on a map...

I am using spherical projections instead of cylindrical projections. I am not using the equator as my point of reference. I made two separate projections, one for the Atlantic and one for Europe and North Africa. The Europe Projection will be centered in southwest Poland (20E, 50N). The North Atlantic projection is centered at (45W, 50N).

I hope this will reduce distortions in France, Germany, Poland, Ukraine, and Belorusia... which I believe are the most important for the game.

On the down side, there will be some huge distortions where the two projections meet. The largest distortions will be somewhere (1) around Iceland, England, and the Artic, (2) in the Central Atlantic off the African Coast.

My (home) computer just died on me, so it will take some time before I can do real progress on this...