Question about Units in Mods

LOL, I just thought how well SC2 can convert to a fantasy setting, Lord of the Rings included. Flying slots taken up by wizards who can teleport over a distance. It really is amazing how the editor is affecting people who want to build a better mouse trap.

I'll clarify a couple of things. The unit types and research effects are fixed, which means you can edit their names in the localization file but the effects remain the same. The air units will remain air units. The Paratroops, however, are regular infantry so if you set their operational range to 0 then they can't airdrop. Partisans and Engineers are also regular infantry, so if you want variable entry units or disable the fortifications options, you can use these units also. These are options.

Couldn't air units be modified as well to something like long range artillary with no movement(or movement of just one). These could be fort mounted guns as opposed to field pieces(which we would use rockets for). Then just make plane research cost impossibly high(or set to 0 max level) thus no room for improvment. Just a thought if you want to use that extra space.

You could use air units that way. Just remember how the new air attacks have the morale effect. Which may be OK. There are also the new weather effects that limit air unit movement. The underlying unit type abilities and restrictions remain the same, regardless of how you change CTVs, names and bitmaps.

Air Fleets with reduced range could be used as Cavalry.

Cavalry charges and falls back, and one of the main aspects of a Cavalry charge is their effect on enemy morale and their ability to shatter formations.

On the other hand:

In a medieval setting Tanks would serve well as Cavalry: Anti-Tank Weaponry could become 'Pikemen' - the perfect counter to Cavalry attacks.

Obviously you would need to change names and also substitute custom sounds, a good deal of which can be found here:

http://www.sounddogs.com

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah I thought about making the great bombard cannon a non moving air unit like the zitadelle scenario.

If anyone has any interest I also have completed a world scenario including Japanese for World War II. However my friends and I play online and the campaign is probally not playable as a single player game. I only changed event scripts and the Japanese replace the Italians and I didnt modify any AI scripts. I did try it once single player instead of hotseat which is how I normally test things and the computer had been taking its turn for 10 minutes and I just ctrl+alt+del.

I have also made many icons for, WWII Japs, civil war, revolutionary, ancient(Roman,greek,persian) etc etc type era. If anyone could tell me how to post them you are more then welcome to use them for any mods you may be making.

Like I said the campaigns I make are designed more for multiplayer and not so much for single player as I dont edit AI scripting, simply event ones.

[ August 01, 2006, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Caeser ]

You can change the fortification icons in the resource bitmap and that will give you different choices of 'fortifications' to make. However I am not sure if you can change the amount of time it takes to build it if that matters to you. Also I am not sure if you could ever get it to fire it will just act as a fortification. Go to that second link of the yahoo group and ill put up an 88 pak gun and a couple of other options and you can try to see if it works. Ill put them up there tommorrow under the WWII units photo album. Scipio aka Caeser

[ August 02, 2006, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Scipio666 ]