Hello everyone, this is my first post here smile.gif

I have some questions about modding which I hope some of you may be able to answer.

1. Is it possible to change the research headings so that, for example, 'Ship Laying Radar' becomes 'Surface-to surface missiles' throughout the whole game? If so, what is the procedure?

2. On the main unit sprites bitmaps, it seems that some of the images nearly touch each other and I cannot see a grid - how do we place new unit images in the correct location?

3. Finally, is there a referance for combat values? for eample, a soft attack of 2 vs. soft defence of 2 is how % effective?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help -

Regards,

Steve

To change the name of research headings you will have to customise the 'localisation.txt' file. The best way to do this is to take a copy of the localisation.txt file from the root directory and paste it into your campaign directory. Then change the 'campaign.ini' file to show '#CUSTOM_LOCALIZATION= 1'. This will allow you to customise all sorts of things in the localisation.txt file in your campaign directory to your heart's content.

Just don't alter the localisation.txt file in the root directory... otherwise things could get a little complicated ;)

PS The edit post button is the icon with the pencil and sheet of paper above your post ;)

iirc the 3d unit bitmaps are 75x75 pixels. Either way if you ensure the new bitmaps you use are of those dimensions then simply paste them over the existing bitmaps without obscuring any other then they should work fine. I think the German tank4 and tank5 images are identical except they are aligned slightly differently so there is a little scope for error.

A simple play with the bitmaps in an image editor will give you a better insight, however.

Your third query I cannot help with. I have always assumed it to be a direct ratio of strength (ie attack of 3 versus a defence of 2 is 50% more effective than attacking the same unit with an attack rating of 2)

But to be honest I have never even thought to question this assumption!

In question 1, Is it also possible to alter the vlaues and effects of individual techs?
No, all the research effects are locked in for the defined unit types. However, you can change "Tank Group" to "Cavalry" and change tank attack/defense to cavalry attack/defense. You can also change the research category name from "Heavy Tanks" to "Heavy Cavalry." But the essential effect of increasing those combat values for that unit type remains the same regardless of what you rename things in the localization.txt file.

Finally, is there a referance for combat values?
Best I can offer is to suggest that you review the various combat formulas and work through several examples manually using different combat target values. Supply, morale, experience, HQ leadership bonuses, and terrain effects all contribute to the final combat loss determinations, and it's all rather complicated. After playing a few games, you should gain an intuitive feel for the relative combat effectiveness of different units in various situations.

I think the German tank4 and tank5 images are identical except they are aligned slightly differently so there is a little scope for error.
German level 4 is Tigers, level 5 is Panthers. The Soviet level 4 and 5 are identical, except for the alignment thingy. The Soviet 4 and 5, is the the JS II model?

On the scale of this game I would put the Panther over the Tiger. The speed they move would make the Panther more valuable on this map. The kill distance of the Panther was also higher than the Tiger. 75mm vs 88mm, yes, but the Panther's gun had a flatter trajectory. 1944 on, Panthers were used in divisonal formations, while Tiger were organized into Heavy Tank compannies and used for corps attachments.

So, from my random thoughts, Pz IV and Panthers would be main battle tanks, and Tigers would be used to overstrength a unit.