Supply suggestion for ver 2, or maybe SC3.......

Guest Mike

I've decided I don't like the SC2 supply system - most especially for "transport-sparse" areas like Nth Africa and Russia.

The main thing that stopped the Wheremacht in 1941 was supply - or lack of it. the troops were simply too few and too poorly supplied to keep attacking the scratch Russian forces in front of Moscow.

the main reason for this was a combination of weather (mainly the mud!!) and the skeletal nature of the Russian transport infrastructure. tehre simply weren't enough railways and paved roads in the russian expanses!

But SC pretty much treats all squares as being the smae for tracing supply.

I'd like to see at least 2 different types of square for the purpose of tracing supply - 1 would be the current "transport-dense" type. The new type would be a "transport sparse" type - each of these would count +1 to movement rates for motorised troops, and would count an extra -1 for the suply state of any unit forced to trace supply through it.

These squares would be the norm in Russia beyond the Riga/Minsk/Kiev/Odessa line - except for direct lines between closest cities, representing the rail net, and 1 square around each city representing its local transport infrastructure.

Similarly in Nth Africa - a coastal "Supply highway" and some squares in Palestine and Syria, but everything else would be "type 2".

Much of the caucasus and Turkish mountains would qualify too, which might help keep turkey out of the wars if it's just too hard to move armies across it quickly!

"Operational" movement would only be able to be performed between centres that were connected by an unbroken line of "type 1" squares.

If you like modded games, you can do it with the editor. You just need to take one kind of tiles out of the game, let's say desert or swamps. Change the graphics, change the movement costs and defense boni and put it back into the game in russia.

Good idea, though.

A single type of tile won't suffice - I envisage this as applying to all terrain types - it would occur in the Prippet marshes and the Caucasus mountains as well as the Ukrainian steppes......

I haven't noticed the railhead option - I'll have to look it up! smile.gif