To deselect war triggers

This is a question that hopefully is not to difficult to answer by Hubert or any veteran modder on this forum. tongue.gif

Me and a friend will soon start a PBEM-campaign using a slightly altered Case White. We will start may-39 with Hitler having second thoughts about the attack on Poland, looking for alternative strategies with slightly improved diplomatic options.

I have changed the parameters for France and Poland, making them at peace in september-39. That UK and Germany is at war is nothing to be done about I take it. But this will be dealt with using a few Home Rules. There’s one nagging question that I can’t make out by simply reading the rules, though.

Will USA and USSR go to war with Germany in 1941-42 for sure (with a certain randomness as to the actual date) or are these declarations of war dependent upon what Germany does? We would like to see the latter condition in use. I have noticed the Pearl Harbor script, but it seems to me that it only announce the attack, but does nothing, hopefully, to push the US into war with Germany.

Is there any way to make these two countries war entries dependent on the political situation only, without any unavoidable triggers, and what scripts do I, in that case, have to select or deselect before starting this scenario?

Hope this doesn’t sound to unclear. I’m not dead sure what I’m asking about in the first place. smile.gif

[ June 11, 2006, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Mike 60 ]

Well, think I found them. This is one example:

; Event for increased US activation:

{

#NAME= USA->Allies (USSR Allied)

#POPUP=

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 1

#COUNTRY_ID= 3

#TRIGGER= 100

#DATE= 1941/06/22

;3-5% activation increase towards Allies

#ACTIVATION= [3,5] [2]

;Set variable conditions:

;1st Line - UK politically aligned with Allies and not surrendered AND

;2nd Line - USSR politically aligned with Allies and not surrendered

#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 1 [2] [100] [0]

#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 4 [2] [100] [0]

}

If I read the above correctly, USA will increase it's leaning towards the Allies by 3-5% as a one time occurrence at this date, the 100% meaning that this script is guaranteed?

If, with France at peace, I was to copy (not cut) this event and paste (double) it, replacing the US ID# (3) with that of France, will those two scripts then trigger USA and France simultaniosly?

Originally posted by Mike 60:

If I read the above correctly, USA will increase it's leaning towards the Allies by 3-5% as a one time occurrence at this date, the 100% meaning that this script is guaranteed?

Correct

If, with France at peace, I was to copy (not cut) this event and paste (double) it, replacing the US ID# (3) with that of France, will those two scripts then trigger USA and France simultaniosly?
Yes, scripts are read in event order and so on the same turn, USA and then France (of course depending on which order you've pasted the scripts) will have their activation % increased.

Hi again

I've tried to create scripts for a non-combatant France as my suggestion above, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there anything wrong with the script below, for instance, or should it trigger a French reaction when Axis declare war on Benelux?

#NAME= Axis DoW on Benelux (France->Allies)

#POPUP= Strong French reaction to German attack on the Benelux

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 0

#COUNTRY_ID= 2

#TRIGGER= 100

;3-20% activation increase towards Allies

#ACTIVATION= [3,5] [2]

; Benelux declared war on by Axis

#CONDITION= 12 [1] [1]

}

I might help a lot. So the [3,5] stands for the possible change span. I thought that the line above took care of that. What does [2] stand for.

Could you also give me a hint what #CONDITION= 12 [1] [1] is?

I'll try changing "0" for v"1" to see what happens.

Mike, the lines that start with a ';' (semicolon) are considered comment lines, i.e. a way to add in descriptions of what you have done that is not interpreted by the game engine.

In general though all I can say is that it seems like you have a good introductory understanding of what is going on so don't be too discouraged... take a look at the script notes at the top of each script and try a few experiments and I predict you will get the hang of it in no time smile.gif

Oh, dear, I finally got it!!

If one could only read the manual properly in the first place, instead of, not unlike the apes, going trial-and-error through a game, thinking you quickly know it all.

I had totally missed the "update" button in the editor and I never entered the editor at all when I changed the settings. Instead, I did all that from the outside, thinking that the system linked to the proper script folder. I take it all the data actually goes into the cgn-file after update.

I changed the pop-up text on some of the standard scripts that I know was working. It didn't show up and that finally put me on the right track.

Thanks, Hubert, for encouraging me further. I would have given up otherwise ...