Free materials for mods

All web master having SC2 mods or scenarios site may take them as they want without ask to me : they are free tongue.gif

Note : files updated , and include now a little "terrain and ressources kit", that allows modders to create alternatives terrains, towns, roads or railroads, etc... in the game.

[ May 03, 2006, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: fantomas ]

I transfer here the little "roads-tip" I have founded for modding (It was posted in the first forum) :

Use this tip for create roads or rail-roads in your scenarios

Follow exactly this process : (after saving the original files of game)

1- Edit localization file and replace :

Marsh by : "plaine without road"

Quatar depression by : "Road" ( or : "railroad")

2-Edit the bitmap file "terrain_sprites" and replace ONE (just one !) marsh by the letter "P". Save the modification.

3- Replace ALL quatar depression graph. by roads (vertical, horizontal roads, etc....). Take care to good calibrate the graph. and save modifications

4-When you build your map :

Place your roads on map and calibrate the movement parameter of roads (supplementary

Cost = 0)

place mountains and forests and calibrate movement parameter of these terrains (supplementary cost movement = x, as you want)

Place "marsh" graph if you want.

place letter "P" in all other tiles (plain without particular terrain) and calibrate the parameter movement (supplementary cost movement = y, as you want). Note that "real marsh" (graph marsh) and "false marsh" ("P"letter" ) will have the same movement and combat parameter. It would be better to have not marsh in your scenario (or use the final additionnal tip)

5-Edit again the "terrain-sprites" files, erase the letter "P" and place nothing at the place. Save modifications.

When finished, you will have :

* roads (in fact : invisible quatar depression) with basic movement cost (no supplementary movement cost)

*Mountains, forest with supplementary cost you have chose

* "Plaine without roads", with supplementary cost you have chose (these "plains" without roads represent "valleys" , etc... as you want)

* Marsh graph with name "Plaine without roads" : this graph terrain will have the same parameter than "Plaine without roads" . It will beter to not use it in your scenario (or use final tip)

Final tip as you prefer : you may regroup mountains and forest in the same categorie of terrain, and use I.E forest for creating "alternate marsh" : then, alternate marsh and plains "without roads" will have different parameter for movement, combat, etc... ( but mountains and forest will have now the same parameters).

You have in this case to edit localization file and replace "mountain" by "Mountains or forest", and "forest" by "Marsh".

So, you will have :

old Mountains category = new "Mountain and forest"

old Forest category = new "Marsh"

old Quater category = new "Roads" (or railroads)

Old marsh category = new "plain without roads"

All with different movement and combat parameters. So, due to the fact cost movment of terrain has an indirect influence on supply, supply will arrive more easy by roads and units will move faster when using roads.

Here screen of Falkland's map in progress portstanley7ol.th.jpg

[ May 03, 2006, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: fantomas ]

The tool is juste our old good "Paint" (.bmp).

For icons or terrains and ressources, I take icons and graph in other games (like Civilization III, Imperialism, etc... ) and I adapt eventualy the graph for SC2, as necessary, with "Paint".

During the "SC2 waiting time" (3 years), I have collected a complete collection of icons in preparation, for the "great day"... So, I have now an important reserve of icons of all kind. If someone needs icons for a mod, I can give him what he needs, for all historical times : roman forts, modern towns, 1914 forts, jungle for Vietnam, fields, etc... He has just to say me what he wants exactly.

Hubert: do you have any idea for one or more SC2 "campaign disk " ? You should take a look at the John Tiller's support system (HPS simulation games) : after his first game(HPS SMOLENsK-1941), he created a long serie with the same (but regulary improved) system. I think STRATEGIC COMMAND 2 editor/game is a great concept, and you should try to develop it, i.e for tactical or semi-operationnal games, or for modern wars. It will be great to have SC3, SC4, etc... tongue.gif And after SC9, perhaps would we decide to give you one or two free days... :D

fantomas,

Any way I can reach you?

I tried the home page "no" address and it doesn't get me anywhere, IE, some strange page with message about... how I am lost in ether space and too bad for me.

I have some special requests in mind.

Don't know if you can even accomplish them, but I'd rather discuss it all... in an e-mail, since it is not likely to be any concern or interest for most posters herein.

If not able to locate you, or you wish to preserve yer privacy, hey - at's OK. :cool:

Files of Fanto_Materials_kit updated : roads are now better calibrated and they have appearence of roads or railroads (screen here)

roads2nn.th.jpg

For those who are interrested to realize roads and railroads in their mods/scenarios, I may send them the complete achieved file, ready to use. But they have at first to say me what kind of terrain they choice for roads (Moutains, forest, marsh or depression), and what kind of terrain are in their mod/scenario.

For historical icons : Material_kit updated : added a readme doc. file who indicate how calibrate your armies in editor, according to the icons.

[ May 03, 2006, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: fantomas ]