Amphibious Assault

Congratulations on the game! It's great.

My suggestion:

Does the game veer away from historical ship shortages, technical limitations and complexities of amphibious assaults?

My observation is that it may. I am a generalist when it comes to WWII history, but I understand that the allies were always short amphibious shipping and the German would have been hard pressed to put a sizable force in good order on British shores in 1940/1941.

I have read that the amphibious invasion is the most difficult military maneuver to execute.

In the game any country with any technical level can apply MPPs and get as many amphibious transports as necessary. That would be ok if there were limits.

I read an earlier posting on this board that amphibious attacks were too easy and too much in favor of the attacker. Maybe the playing field could be evened out and some historical accuracy inserted if there was technical development required for amphibious warfare.

Robert

I think you make a very valid observation. In the buildup to Sealion, the Germans were appropriating anything that was barely floatable. They were grabbing Rhine and canal barges and hastily converting them. Had they made a serious attempt to land on England, I wonder how many of these improvised carriers would have even got across the Channel. Although they did not know it at the time, the British were deathly afraid of German landings in 1940, but they never were a viable threat.

Now, the Allies on the other hand put in the serious effort to develop proper amphibious landing craft and the training to develop doctrine in conducting amphibious assaults. The American landings at Guadacanal in 1942 were somewhat of a charade, but they learned from their mistakes and quickly mastered the landing techniques which helped the Marines lead the US to victory in the Pacific. These lessons were applied to the landings for Torch, Husky and Overlord.

You are on the right track in suggesting that there should be some kind of technology required in order to be able to launch large scale invasions in this game.