Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

connecting to tcp/ip game

mmonty

I have a machine with windows 98, I can host games with a friend via tcp/ip with no problems.....If I try to connect to another friend.....we can not connect at all...we have both tried hosting the game....we can communicate via icq without problems....i have tried shutting down firewall software too with no results.....we both have version 1.1 none betas....I have revamped my game with lots of visual mods....but that should not matter.....

Usually I would have though that the firewall software would have caused problems with hosting. As you said, the visual/sound mods should make no discernable difference in hooking up via TCP/IP.

Are you unable to connect via TCP/IP at all to this particular gamer you're trying to play with or can you host and this particular player can connect ? Is this player behind a firewall of some sort ? Have they hosted for someone else before with no problems ? If not, then there may be something about their ISP (maybe IP allocation schemes) that is preventing them from properly hosting so that you're not getting the appropriate IP address to hook up to.

thanks for the speedy reply. The other person, has been able to play with others. And so have I. This other person is using windows ME and I am using windows 98. In addition, I am using a Athlon 550 with a MSI 6167 MB with an asus 6600 Gforce 256 video card....I noted others with problems with this combo....I have had none.....maybe because I am using windows 98 and not win2K.

Can you ping the address that this player provides you (if they don't have a permanent, always-on IP address, then they'll have to connect and then provide the IP to you) ? I wouldn't assume that your different hardware or OS's would be a factor here for a TCP/IP game and hosting.

I'd also suggest trying a TRACERT to this player and see how many hops you have to go through to get to them. There is a possibility, though the chances are remote and the reasoning nebulous, that a router between you two is doing something strange to your TCP/IP packets.