76mm

poesel

I did some testing with the 76mm Paladin. I quite like the gun and the sound it makes. Its good at long range (I wish it had another level of zoom, though) and the rate of fire is ok.

One problem: I never (read: very seldom) seem to kill something. Lots of smoke and engines disabled. Great annoyance for the enemy but no kill. Sometimes a paladin, ok. But even shrikes seem to eat shell after shell without really dying.

I get more kills with the 20mm!

Is that on purpose or am I doing something wrong?

Btw why is it that the 76mm is only on the paladin? A tempest with that gun would be really fun!

You must aim for specific subsystems with the 76mm if you want to kill anything in a timely manner. The engine is a good place to start (it has a 25% chance of kill) but the battery on most vehicles should be your main target. 2 76mm AP rounds are roughly equal to a single 120mm AP, if not a little higher, in general damage and fragmentation. 76mm does not overpenetrate however, which means it will stop at the first subsystem it contacts. This puts it's effective damage output (to something central like the battery usually is) far lower from the rear or front. 76mm also does not sport the 10% chance of instant burn on a penetration that 120mm AP appears to.

The shrike battery is located in the back of the vehicle, not the center, and is larger than average. I guess this could be considered it's ammunition as well. At any rate, you don't want to aim center mass on a shrike, especially from the side. The engine/battery is located between the pair of front/rear wheels.

Sorry, I have to disagree. One hit will cripple you while the mbt will most probably be still alive after 3 hits from the 76mm (depends of course).

At great ranges the palladin can easily outmaneuver the shots from the 120mm while giving a steady stream of shells on the target. If the enemy is human and keeps the front pointed to you then you have a standoff. No chance for the small caliber to penetrate there. But if he turns or looks away or you can maneuver to his behind - bang! smile.gif

Originally posted by poesel71:

Sorry, I have to disagree. One hit will cripple you while the mbt will most probably be still alive after 3 hits from the 76mm (depends of course).

At great ranges the palladin can easily outmaneuver the shots from the 120mm while giving a steady stream of shells on the target. If the enemy is human and keeps the front pointed to you then you have a standoff. No chance for the small caliber to penetrate there. But if he turns or looks away or you can maneuver to his behind - bang! smile.gif

I usually try to get around them and put in my hits before they realize i'm shifting from one side to the other