0.9.45 Release...

ClaytoniousRex

...is now available via Update. On Windows, use Start/Programs/Battlefront/DropTeam Public Test/Game Updater to get it. On Mac OS X, double click on the Update icon in /Applications. On Linux, use the runUpdate.sh script.

Fixes in 0.9.45:

</font>

• Improvements to the fragmentation component of the damage model</font>
  • Improved bot driving of tracked vehicles</font>
  • Tips for new players</font>
  • Slightly increased effectiveness of automated guns (such as on the Hermes)</font>
  • Reduced armor the Hurricane (again)</font>
  • Reduced toughness of a few internal components</font>
  • Fix crash if using voice chat with sound disabled</font>
  • Don't show cancel button on Drop Dialog when it can't be used</font>
  • Exit confirmation dialog when quitting</font>
  • Fixed crash on server list</font>

When I try to initialise 0.9.45 the computer stops responding during the load screen and I have to restart the computer. The third time I tried I first told ZoneAlarm to allow DropTeam to use the internet, and I got to the DropTeam menu. When I clicked 'Refresh Servers' my computer crashed again. This time I had my second monitor running and was able to bring up the task manager in the second monitor but I wasn't able to kill the DropTeam task, even ending the process didn't work (so I had to reset again). I'm about to try for a fourth time.

It worked the fourth time, this time I told ZoneAlarm to allow Drop Team to act as a server, I don't know if that was what did it. Previously with updates I have had ZoneAlarm become the active task when asking for DropTeam to have permissions. It seems like now during loading and the main menu DropTeam won't allow other tasks to use the display so easily so things like ZoneAlarm and Task Manager don't appear.

Incidentally, when running a second monitor DropTeam will make sure that the mouse pointer stays on the screen during Loading and the Main Menu, but during play, the mouse can move off the screen running dropteam, making driving and shooting difficult ( so I generally disable the second monitor when playing Drop Team).

I've had exactly the same problem, although I thought it was just bad programming; i.e. naughty Dropteam saying "this screen is mine mine mine", and not letting me context-switch to the zonealarm window to allow internet access on launch.

Actually, this first problem *did* go away when I gave internet access to the program *before* launching it, so....

Now I'm also crashing on "refresh servers". Time to check your server-access workaround DrWood, don't know why this makes a difference, I must say!

This new behavior in 0.9.45 is the game checking to see if a new version is available at startup (it didn't do this prior to 0.9.45). This was added because a surprisingly high number of people had no idea they could update to the latest version and they've been sending us angry emails asking why we would release a public test version 0.9.40 when all of the servers are a higher version...

Now that this check is happening at startup, it seems to causing this new problem for you ZoneAlarm users. I'll see if we can move it to a slightly later time, when the application's message pump is already running. Hopefully then it will behave like it used to, allowing you to switch over to the ZoneAlarm window.

Suggestions:

Post the update information to the public beta URL in addition to the forum to prevent more people from emailing. Right now the beta demo home page has no information at all about the beta being updated. An entry right above the download section would make sense.

Add a update button to the account/network tab so the user can elect to update.

Ahem - do we get another test release before 1.0?

I notice that fewer people are playing and fighting bots on those well known maps and setting is even more boring than fighting humans on those well known maps and setting - you get my drift? smile.gif