Huge graphical freezes

Bernhardt

I get these huge slowdowns more often now after this update, don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but it makes this game unplayable. I understand normal slowdowns during artillery fire and smoke but this is way beyond normal:

I just left from a game cos I experienced a huge freeze for about 10-20 seconds (my fps must have been about 0.2). I could hear sounds but graphics weren't updating.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+

Windows XP Pro

1Gb RAM

ATI Radeon 9700 128 Mb

(ATI Catalyst 6.3)

I met a Radeon x800 user yesterday who experiences somekind of freezes too so I guess it's not all about power.

Any help would be appreciated cos this is ruining this fun game for me.

The two most powerful computers in my home suffer from this as well.

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (64 bit)

WinXP pro (NOT 64 bit)

1GB/2GB RAM

ATI Radeon x800

Various Cat versions

The 'pauses' get more consistant the longer you play. I usually close and reopen the game after about 3 maps, it's far too irritating by then. Texture caching doesn't appear to help, and I have it turned off now, as it drastically cuts the load time.

The pauses seem to tend to occur: (but only sometimes, never 100%)

-when someone drops

-when I drop

-The instant before I enter or exit 'zoom' mode (!!!!)

I don't know if there are any other causes, and the game is quite smooth playing otherwise. Usually lasts from about 6-12 seconds, and in that time whatever input I was last doing continues... I often find the tank tumbling off a hill or surrounded by enemies by the time I regain control. Often during long pauses the chassis dissapears for a few seconds, but the turret remains.

I have a friend I tried to get to play who has a 9600. He reports similar pauses, but he says after about 2 maps they actually tend to make him crash. I could get his specs but it'd take a while before I have the chance to grill him about it.

I have a similar setup to Yurch, and I have all my graphical settings on max (except High Definition and Large Textures) (1280x1024) and I don't see any slowdowns whatsoever, even when there are 17 plumes of smoke on the screen. smile.gif

edit: oh, and I have that crappy GeForce fx 5900xt, so yurch beats me there

Originally posted by Bernhardt:

Yes, my chassis disappears too, the turret remains.

Thank you for sharing your similar experiences.

Having seen this, I'm getting exactly the same issue, but under OS X.

Dual G5 1.8 GHz

OS X 10.4.5 (8H14), Darwin 8.5.0

1.5 GB RAM

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB

Driver: ATIRadeon9700 1.4.18.20 (3378)

I think that my video drivers are the Apple ones, since they've been updated more recently than the ATI ones and the ATI extensions have copyright information in the get info string.

The issues seem to start after the DropTeam has been running for some time, I've never seen it in just one match. I tried quitting to the lobby to see if that made a difference (I was hoping that would restart the graphics engine?) but the problem persists going into a new game. The slow down seems to effect keyboard an mouse inputs too; if I press escape it might take 30 seconds or more for the menu to pop up.

I get the same thing. Dual 2.5 G5 / nVidia 6800 ultra.

It appears that there is something else going on here... Network perhaps?

different graphic cards, different OS's. same issue, the only variable seems to be the time of the freezes, mine for example, is usually between 1 and 5 sec.

Although I have had freezes for up to ~10 seconds and I find myself suddenly 1 km from my last position. Which kind sucks if you're in a hover vehicle. You may find your self stuck in a ditch or flipped over on your back..

We've fixed some serious memory leaks for the upcoming 0.9.42 release. Having these cleaned up is likely to help with this kind of sporadic "freezing" (as well as many other problems). We've observed some of these client-side hangs that were definitely caused by the memory leaks that are now fixed. There may still be another unrelated issue lurking here, but so far in testing having these leaks fixed has done wonders.

I'm not sure, if I'd the same problem, but it seems similar: After a while, game "freezes". Sound turns to noise - repeating few ms of last sound played, screen lock for a few seconds. Then continue, but skip forward in game and vehicle is counts as continuing in last action defined by keys pressed in the moment of freezing. This is grade up to almost game is freezed. Then I can see some slideshow of mountains panorama :) and after another while game crash with "abnormal terminatin" message.

--

0.9.42 Release on Windows XP professional, Version 2002, SP2, CZ. nVidia GeForce Go 6600 - 128MB, Intel Pentium M @ 1.86 GHz, 797 MHz (wow, what is it? may be bus speed?) 1 GB RAM.

--

I'm trying linux version too, but TNT2 with 32 MB is really unusable :)

Hi. I guess, that the "mountains panorama" in my last post is just view through ground. But may be, the freezing is caused by internet connection. It is broadband, but by czech meaning = faster than 56 kbps modem. I have connestion speed about 150 kbps, but it is varying by network load from neighbour.

--

I have zipped DropTeam.log from this session, if someone interested.

So, I try to play tonight again and have more observations. I play alone in scenario. When I just riding all seems OK. But when I star shooting then get noisy sounds and then I try control-r (resuply). Noise, freezes and funy looks on hills apear again. Its all looks strangely - minimap and status icons repeatedly disapearing and apearing again (about 1 Hz blinking), ground wanishes, trees and building still visible. After suply craft take off and get out, game return to normal state.

--

Previous parameters stay in play and used resolution is 1280 x 800 x 32 bits. Ping is about 200 to 300 (:-/

--

log from this session: http://www.peca.cz/DropTeam.log.060330.2240.zip

[ March 30, 2006, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Peca007 ]

• 2 weeks later...